Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of your guys are running the 351w main spacers? I am getting close to ordering all my stuff for the 427 big bore motor i want to build but am afraid i will run short financially, alot due to the coast of an aftermarket block. I really didnt want to build a stock 351w block stroker due to the bigger mains and two bolt mains but would save me alot and would most likely get my car running! Are you guys having luck with the spacers and I would imagin a main girdle? It would be a 408 if i go stock block with some TEA 225 or 245 high ports with port matched SV and a tight lash soild roller setup for a ton of street driving and strip and a pro systems carb. Motor will be around 11to1 on pump 93 gas. I have heard the 3" mains dont like the rpm's and spacers seem a little scary but a friend races trucks and ran them in a 351 with a svo 2.75 crank and worked great but low power around 350hp. Just dont want to go another summer watching people driving and racing!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you use a stock block, use nothing other than a 69-74. I would suggest putting the 4 bolt caps on it with studs as well. My personal experience with the main girdle, is it only helps keep everything tied together when the block fails. It doesn't assist in keeping the block from failing. And when using the a girdle that is "sandwiched" between the cap and fastener, it promotes cap walk.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Keep your eyes open for used dart blocks. I've seen some ready to go, for as much as you'll put into that block after the machining and caps.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I ran the spacers with the stock block and a 4.25 stroke crank. I ran it for 2 seasons at around the 7200rpm range and it made about 700rwhp. When I freshened up after the season was over the spacers looked fine. I would not be afraid to run them again. I bought my rotating assembly with intentions of putting it in the Dart block later. It worked out for me and I got to race for 2 seasons while saving up for the Dart Block!!! Good luck with the build

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mark T i was wanting to hear from someone thats used them befor, I think thats is what im going to do. I think i will just run a stock block with the spacers and a 2.75 crank and just sve for the aftermarket block and switch over winter. Might cost more in the long run but i wanna drive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You will be fine with an early block (69-74) and even with engine speeds over 7500 I have not seen a problem with the right main clr. as someone already posted. we used to use a lot of spacers in the 351w stuff mostly for round track engines that ran 30-100 lap features and they worked great and also at one time there were a lot of 2.75 main Bryant and LA cranks floating around cheap. One thing I have seen on a customers 410 ci windsor that had a pretty aggressive roller in it that he drove on the street quite a bit it broke the timing chain which was a Ford racing (cloyes) setup(a302). It was the second year on the timing set and maybe the third set of springs,we have always had good luck with those setups so maybe it was a freak thing but it is something to watch if you are running a stout spring on the street. In Liberty Dan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info on the chain. I am goin to have Cammotion do the solid roller and suggested spring rates and when i talked to my buddie that has been dealing with him for around 20years he said they are getting away with some pretty light spring pressures on the tight lash sold setups now, not 100% sure but that is what he told me and he has had a few solid setups on street and strip cars.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have used the 147MSEMI Fed. Mogul ones a few times...they are still available. I have a customer with a stock block girdle/spacers running 10.0s on the motor with a flat top 408 with CNC AFRs and a mild solid roller.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I agree.... get a early 351W block and put a set of ProGrams on it.... the 3" main is not really a issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts