Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 427 ci motor in a SVO 351W block and it kills the mains in two passes the clearances are right. The motor was fine for two years till I split the cylinder walls so I bought a new block and now it's JUNK any ideas?
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
893 Posts
Need more info?
who's crank, what bearings, how much clearance, what oil pump, how much oil psi, max rpm, total timming, CR, power adder? you get the drift.

Did ya have the mains honed before assembly?

Thanks Brandon.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Lots of missing info. What types of caps on mains? Studs or bolts? How much torque put on them? What bearings? What clearances? Any pics of damage? Any theories from your machinist/engine builder?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more info?
who's crank, what bearings, how much clearance, what oil pump, how much oil psi, max rpm, total timming, CR, power adder? you get the drift.

Did ya have the mains honed before assembly?

Thanks Brandon.
Scat light billet, cleivie 2.79, I don't recall melling HV,52 psi,7500 rpms, 32 degrees,8.5 to 1,94mm turbo. Yes it was line bored

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of missing info. What types of caps on mains? Studs or bolts? How much torque put on them? What bearings? What clearances? Any pics of damage? Any theories from your machinist/engine builder?
The caps that come with the block, studs,100 fp and 30 fp. As for theories we don't have any we thought it was pumping the pan dry so I put 11 qts in it same shit

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Had same problem. Use 50weight oil, make sure bearings have at least .035 clearance, should have around 50 psi at idle and 80 at top RPM. Your gonna need a K&N filter to hold those pressures and an adjustable racing melling internal pump for adjustment.

Anyhow that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Something still doesn't work out here. How many of the old parts are you running now, that has been in the other cylinder block for two years??

Thanks Brandon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something still doesn't work out here. How many of the old parts are you running now, that has been in the other cylinder block for two years??

Thanks Brandon.
It was in the old block for three years same mains the whole time.
Crank rods at first but I put a new set after it burned up the first time new oil pump every time we ran the crank clearance big and cut the caps to run small. I'm sending both blocks to a new shop hoping they find out whats going on
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
893 Posts
It was in the old block for three years same mains the whole time.
Crank rods at first but I put a new set after it burned up the first time new oil pump every time we ran the crank clearance big and cut the caps to run small. I'm sending both blocks to a new shop hoping they find out whats going on
Thanks Ed

I would first check the cam brgs and see if they are in the correct position for the oil feed and the journal size pertaining to each one. Check the main feeds in the block to be sure none of them are blocked and check to see if the oil feed on the main brg lines up with the hole in the block also.

I would go for .0035 clearance on the mains, .003 on the rods, run as good of an oil pump that fits your buget (prefer high psi). No less than 20w50 oil, and i would consider 40 or 50wt oil. This is exactly what i run my 427cid with and have had no problems.

Oh ya spring for a System One oil filter, thay are really nice pieces, fully cleanable and reuseable. Last one you will ever have to buy!!!

Thanks Brandon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I a'm going with roller cam brgs this time I run val race 20w50 and I have a pro power filter(precision turbo) I will look at feeds again Thanks Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Is every bearing bad or just one journal? I've never had oil drain problems on a SBF i don't even restrict the lifters but i do restrict cam bearings.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If it's every bearing either the line hone was too tight or something wrong with pump maybe sucking air. The clearances had to be wrong or out of round in the mains. Did you check bearing crush to see if bearing distorts? You don't need .0035 but some prefer this method. I use .0025 with 50wt oil and coated bearings works fine with my F3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts