Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone makes a block with 351w mains and the deck height of a 1969/70?

Dart blocks have Cleveland mains and 9.50 deck height. All of my current parts are for a 9.48 deck and Windsor mains.

I suppose 9.50 deck I could get a thinner head gasket and solve 1 of the problems

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wtf dude, you ever gonna finish this bitch?
It's not worth risking all the time and money with this block. The pistons were custom made so I could run boost. That cylinder wall in my opinion is too poor to run boost.

To answer your question, absolutely not!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20psi boost,I don't spin it over 6300rpm. A Dart block would be overkill for your combo.
I figured as much, I'll have to call some places selling short blocks and see if I can get a bare block instead. Atk or dss or something

·
Registered
838 Posts
Doesn't solve the Cleveland mains issue
Id be willing to bet you could bore the mains out 1/8" per side to fit a 3" crank , though dont see the reason. Do you have a shit ton of money in the rotating?? There is a reason they all use a smaller main, if you are going to spend the money on a dart block, get a clevland main crank with a 2.100 rod

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There aren't any aftermarket blocks with 3" mains being made anymore. There's old Ford stuff out there but it's hard to come by. Why do you think you need a new block?

·
Registered
54,449 Posts
You should have had your existing pistons machined at Rebco, you would be running that engine already. It would cost you 300 bucks or so.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should have had your existing pistons machined at Rebco, you would be running that engine already. It would cost you 300 bucks or so.
Don't take this the wrong way.. but wtf are you talking about?

The compression height of the old pistons was wrong. The compression ratio was wrong. The dish was the wrong cc, the ptv clearance was wrong, and one cylinder is in shit condition to be ran with boost, and a second cylinder has pitting also.

If this was a dog shit junk yard project where I was slapping a 350hp mild engine in it I'd run it like it is.

A 650hp procharged application and 12 years of my life, I might as well do it right the first time.

·
Registered
54,449 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way.. but wtf are you talking about?

The compression height of the old pistons was wrong. The compression ratio was wrong. The dish was the wrong cc, the ptv clearance was wrong, and one cylinder is in shit condition to be ran with boost, and a second cylinder has pitting also.

If this was a dog shit junk yard project where I was slapping a 350hp mild engine in it I'd run it like it is.

A 650hp procharged application and 12 years of my life, I might as well do it right the first time.
Well, from what you have posted in the dozens of posts so far, I would say you have little experience in building engines and made a lot of assumptions with no knowledge.

The PTV issue could have been fixed with the REBCO machining like I and many others explained to you. The compression ration issue could have been fixed with the above as well AT THE SAME TIME. DISH CC could have been fixed with the above at the same time. A cometic MLS head gasket could have fixed the Comp Height issue easily (I do this all the time, did it last year on nearly the same combo) and cheaply.

Now you want to find an aftermarket windsor block with 3" mains because you plan on pushing 650 HP. More confusion, you dont need an aftermarket block for that. You are making an expensive mess out of this engine, but its your money.

I, and several others, gave you excellent advice on how to get your existing parts working with little money. You get belligerent when you dont like the advice.

You might want to post your questions on corral.net. People with little experience will tell you want you want to know there.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Out of all that stuff you wrote, how does that solve the problem with the cylinder walls?

Also I was quoted $550 plus shipping both ways to machine the pistons, not sure where the 300 came from. New set was $620 shipped. Add $200 for cosmetic gaskets I'm at 750, not exactly cheaper.

So now I have a nice set of pistons I can use on a different build someday. I've said since day one I was going to procharge this thing.

Understand im not arguing with you. Im clearly not an engine builder, but you can ask 10 guys if a stock block bored .060 over will hold up under boost, and 8 of them will say the walls are too thin. So here I am asking for other options.

Why wouldn't I buy something strong enough to hold up now, and future abuse when I get the itch to go faster?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts