Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife spun a bearing in her mustang at the Bracket finals this weekend and this is my question. The crank is a 351w steel crank with stock ford journals. If the crank is salvagable I would like to turn the rod journals to 2.100 chevy. My plan is to use a 6" chevy rod and new pistons etc. I know you can buy a 351W crank with the 3" mains and 2.100 rod journals. Will the chevy rods work with what I want to do width wise? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
My wife spun a bearing in her mustang at the Bracket finals this weekend and this is my question. The crank is a 351w steel crank with stock ford journals. If the crank is salvagable I would like to turn the rod journals to 2.100 chevy. My plan is to use a 6" chevy rod and new pistons etc. I know you can buy a 351W crank with the 3" mains and 2.100 rod journals. Will the chevy rods work with what I want to do width wise? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Chevy rods will have to be narrowed.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
you can sometimes use the standard width chevy bearing / rod IF

........ IF the cheek of crank is allready wide enough

some are
some are NOT

depends
I have
seen where three of the throws were wide enough and one was not on same crank

you have to check...!!

many / most ford specific cranks are not wide enough at the outer edge...

or narrow the rods to the chevy bearing dia and the ford width...

make certain that you know WHICH SIDE of the rod to "narrow" by removing material..
and this also can entail adding a chamfer to the insert...as well as the rod itself...
which is not there allready....

and migh as well make extra inserts in the lathe while you are doing the first set.

make certain via trial fit that the small end of rod clears the piston pin boss...
since you are essentially moving the rod "over"...by narrowing the large end...
and doing nothing to the "small end"

crick crick too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts