Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Why waste your time finding decent factory castings? I have seen brand new castings for around $250-$300. Granted they are bare but the you know all that's in them. The only reason to find factory castings is to take advantage of the badass valvejob gm does from the factory. But most send them out thinking they need a valvejob and end up ruining it. So if you use factory takeoffs just do a simple lap the valves. The factory valvejob is awesome and flows great. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
My best friend went with Mexican Vortecs, and I bought EngineQuest castings because both heads on my junkyard 350 were cracked. We took a bunch of measurements, and we couldn't find any significant differences in port dimensions among the Mexican 062, domestic 062 and 906, and the EQ castings. We're not equipped to check valve job angles though.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I've watched a lot of that guy's videos. He really seems to know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Long block is coming along nicely and might end up on the dyno this weekend.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
They have a 175 psi compression rule, 4412 2bbl and I think they will be able to use headers, we'll see when he is on the dyno.

·
Registered
436 Posts
will be interesting to see torque curve , cam choice has got to be well thought with that . was helping out with a crate engine class , rebuilds were allowed but supposed to be stock specs no over bore , no touch anything other than .010 max head surface . rumour was the guy that was gapping everyone needed new valve springs every race .... hmmm

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
I
will be interesting to see torque curve , cam choice has got to be well thought with that . was helping out with a crate engine class , rebuilds were allowed but supposed to be stock specs no over bore , no touch anything other than .010 max head surface . rumour was the guy that was gapping everyone needed new valve springs every race .... hmmm
d care to bet you’re right. The cam will be the deciding factor. If allowed. The max 175# cranking compression doesn’t bother me, but the intake will take some figuring out what cam to run. Let em run a head capable of 240 to 260 cfm flow, and no intake to match? Go figure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Randy , probably cause its an affordable current head so its allowed but the rule makers don't want guys like you and Stuska 1 building 500 hp so they restrict the intake . see post 69

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Randy , probably cause its an affordable current head so its allowed but the rule makers don't want guys like you and Stuska 1 building 500 hp so they restrict the intake . see post 69
Could be. I don’t know if 500 hp is possible with that intake. I know it’s possible with a different 4 barrel dual plane with the Holley 2 barrel, but not sure with that intake. But, in a couple years the power output will surprise all. Interesting class, by the way.

·
Registered
436 Posts
vortec head 355" flat top piston, f/t cam no touch ports but any valve job any intake 500 carb headers no vac pump but pan evacs ok . what could you get ?

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
vortec head 355" flat top piston, f/t cam no touch ports but any valve job any intake 500 carb headers no vac pump but pan evacs ok . what could you get ?
525 I’m guessing. NASCAR teams got around 630 with a hydraulic roller, and a 750. Everything else the same.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts