Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new project I'm working on , truck was 2850 with driver with a sbc in it. I'm going to an aluminum ls1 so weight will drop some.
Motor is 11.89/1 compression with 53 cc chamber 5.3 heads , super Vic intake and going to either run a carb or fast ex efi system. Headers are 2" BRP hot rod headers, cam is a EPS 238/250 .603/.603 110 Lsa 106 cl .

Th 350 Trans , 8" 5200 tci converter( will be going to PTC after trying it as is ) 4.56 rear 9" . 28"x10x15" mt slicks , will switch to a drag radial after test running. Most likely a 30"x9" radial slick.

I have a 750 double pumper carb now that I was going to send in and have Sean Murphy modify. Really interested in the fast ex efi so it will tune itself but have no experience with it, any suggestions to what will run faster/ more consistent? Carb or ex efi that is.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
11.9CR with 53cc heads? what does the internals consist of. That setup should go way into the 9s at the very least

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scat I beam rods with 7/16 bolts and Mahle -4cc pistons .

This motor was in a 2600 lb Rw 64 nova I had and traded for the truck. I was running fuel inj with it and using a truck intake and home built 1.75" headers and running 4.10 gears with a 31"x13" tire it went [email protected] the first time out with this converter but a different cam.
I had Geoff grind this cam for that combo am pump gas at 11.7/1 compression but on te edge.
The old cam was a Futral grind I got from a friend hat was for a 383 stroker and killed cyl. Pressure for my motor, I could have gotten away with 87 oct.
I spun a bearing on Geoff's dyno while tuning in the new cam. I have efi live and do my own tuning but wanted to go carb with the race truck this time.

I traded the s10 for my Nova as the nova was pure race and I want to be able to tag and drive sometimes.
10.0 is the goal but faster would be just fine :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So do any of you think staying carb is better or would the fast ex efi be a good choice? I can get it for $1580 shipped to me, my whole fuel system is for efi so I won't have to buy anything but a regulator.
If I go carb I will end up payin close to a grand for a good carb and still have to change up my fuel system.
The carb I have ls a basic Holley 750 dp

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to Sean Murphy induction and he said he could make my 750 flow an honest 830cfm. for $325. I would still have to change up my fuel system for carb, i will most likely crank it on carb and get it all running. Then switch to the fast ez efi. I have not tuned a carb in about 8 years, ez efi looks pretty simple, drive it and let it tune itself.

I sold all my fuel injection system because I could tune the car to idle great and run great but the next time I go to the track I would be chasing a wild idle again. The cam was just to much I guess for me to tune out, I could make it idle but i had to fool with it every time I went to the track.
My trans am Idles great with a little f14 cam in it.

I want simple for my race truck. the less I have to fool with it the better

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, I dont want to buy any of the electronics until the motor and suspensions is finished. everything in and ready to work before the electronics. dont want to waist any warrenty.

I have not looked at the Holley stuff to much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tweak the tune, if it will keep me in the ball park once tuned then that is what im after. I was looking at MSD's Atomic but I believe the fast is more appealing to me. It has been out a little longer too and seems to be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you can find a set of 04-06 GTO block brackets to mount on your motor the bottom of them sit flat so you can easily Dan up a mount for them.

By the way, that is the ONLY grill to run on an s-10...looks good! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts