Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SomeWhat Jaded
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...my buddy just called...

347 DSS with Vortech V blower (probably about 9 lbs)
comp cams hyd roller (236 @ 050 iirc)
32lbs FMS injectors

vortech 6:1 FMU springs (thats what they recommended )

base pressure is set at 30 lbs ( he just brought it down from 32)

it billows black smoke..and burns the eyes.plug are scap after 20 minutes.i told him hold on...

how much enrichment does it need at/on boost?
so before i get it there later...(he doesnt have a vacuum gauge or other real tools..there are at another shop 30 miles away)

any ideas.i often assume too much.

·
SomeWhat Jaded
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just got in from a bizz trip....and have yet to go take a look...i m waiting for a call from vortech..

any ideas guys??

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Is his air meter calibrated for 32 lb injectors ??

·
Registered
576 Posts
dump the fmu. i had a t-trim with stock computer on a 306. 42's and a systemaxx. 6.60's on radials and drove it daily.

·
SomeWhat Jaded
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes...the meter matches the injectors..they are 32lbs..

so dont we need rising rate fuel pressure proportionate to boost increase???

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Get hold of Bob Kurgan at Kurgan motorsports in Ill. He will set you up with what you need. I usually order 60lb injectors and no FMU, a SCT MAF Meter and have Bob do the chip. The car will start and run like a champ....trust me, Bob does a very very good job. You just have the wrong stuff there. Spend the extra money to do what I am asking....you will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Call Bob at 847-877-8935 He gets about 40 emails and phone messages a day...he is worth the wait.

·
On the roller...
15,867 Posts
You're in Ottawa? Run it over to Lentech and have Chris tune it on the dyno. Or rent the dyno and I'll swing up and tune it. The FMU needs to go. It's a bandaid and the source of the problems. It needs a proper MAF/injector combo (likely larger injectors and a MAF with proper range) and a proper tune commanding the computer properly. Until then it will only be so-so at best.

Trust me, I've been down this road a hundred times.

·
On the roller...
15,867 Posts
Why are people still trying to run cars without tuning? Calibrated MAFs are a hack way of tuning a car.

Excuse me, Mr. Brooks, but I don't believe you've visited the newbie thread... :D

You of all people should know that "tuning" them like it's 1990 is the cool thing to do...

·
SomeWhat Jaded
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnx guys.then why does vortech use a fmu?they should just mention what size injectors to run and recommend or supply a tune here.

thnx for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
thnx guys.then why does vortech use a fmu?they should just mention what size injectors to run and recommend or supply a tune here.

thnx for the info guys.
Vortech is just trying to get someone something that they feel they can sell there product, and it will not blow the engine up ! They know its not optimal. Too many variables on the mustang. With it being Mass Air, and K/N air filters that people oil soak, it just adds to a bunch of issues. Miss matched injectors to MAF... MAF meters with "power adder tunes" ....there are a whole host of add ons that people buy that cause issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts