Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you know which 3.4 stroke crank works with a 5.315 rod?
what would make one not compatible with a 5.315 rod since i've seen that advertised by sellers?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The problem with that short rod is sometimes depending on whcih crank, the pin tower will hit the weight, this is for the internal steel cranks that have taller counterweights to make the crank internal balance. Most times it will clear a cast crank such as a scat and eagle since those are 28oz cranks and the counterweights dont need to be so large to achieve the balance. The short rod has jammed me up a few times, I never use it.

D

·
0 Posts
I've never had a 5.315 rod setup hit anything....and I use the two rod lengths pretty much interchangeably.

Even on the "better" setups.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's very odd about the eagle and scat cast cranks because both of them said to use a 5.4 rod minimum. what the hell?

D

·
0 Posts
that's very odd about the eagle and scat cast cranks because both of them said to use a 5.4 rod minimum. what the hell?
I use a hundred, or so, Scat cast cranks a month with no issues. I don't use Eagle, so I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I got a 5.315 rpm i beam and one of your pistons, crashes an rpm internal crank.
Mark the area of crank where it hits and cut it out with electric grinder. Just contour it with at least .050 between the throw and piston. Then get the crank balanced. Doesn't sound like your building alot of power so if the crank needs mallory skip it and just have crank externally balanced. Don't laugh because i buy 8.7 deck cranks from cup engines and grind them for my 8.2 blocks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts