Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scrapped the idea for a stock internaled 302 and am just going for a 347 since its going to be about 2,500-3,000$ more...money well spent in my opinion. I can rev it higher and I will get more power with the right combo...I have an idea of what makes power on these 302 base motors, but what heads would work well? I was thinking trick flow renegade 225cc, or trick flow hi-port 225cc or even a good set of ported canfields. Custom solid roller will be from FTI. I heard he does great work and that solid rollers are better for high rpms? Looking to spin about 7500rpms. So what heads? Also, I heard shaft mount rockers are a must for spinning that high? This will be a daily street car...so keep that in mind. I'm not sure on the fine details so help me out. I know ill use a gforce dog-cut T5 and I will still retain EFI. Ultimate goal is to run a lowwww 10. Maybe a 10.2-10.4? Is that possible? I've seen 347s with Victor Jr. Comp cams solid roller and a super Vic run 10.9s easy...so custom stuff would get me close right? Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It is possible to run that number with the heads you wont.... I like the highports..I wouldnt use a stock block..Look for a older aftermarket block like a A4 block or a R block....alot less expensive over a dart block! I think your going to end up spending more than what you think! I am almost done with my all out 347 with TEA highports and 2 speedtech foggers...so if you have any questions let me no!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like the above poster said, 7500 RPM with those high flowing heads and a stout solid roller, won't last long in a stock block!

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like the above poster said, 7500 RPM with those high flowing heads and a stout solid roller, won't last long in a stock block!
What's up junkie? You're over on Modded Mustangs, I'm stangbanger302...anyway, yeah. Ill probably look into a earlier model block or a Mexican block. Not too sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I used to run a 302 with a Procharger that put 501 to the wheels. Stock block, rods, pistons. Used only a girdle. Lasted 5 years until I broke it all down to build a stroker windsor.
That said. 7500 is a pretty high number with a stocker. At the very least, get some good H beams a forged crank. Girdle. Lightweight rotating. I'd do a flat tappet with beehive springs for the weight and I'd run AFR 185's on it. Solid rollers require heavy lifters, heavier springs, etc.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well I made 501 at the wheels with a simple setup. And that dog ring T5 will kill you on the street. Feels like the trans will come through the floor every shift. The 185's make plenty of power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should start off with an aftermarket block if you want this motor to survive.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Well I made 501 at the wheels with a simple setup. And that dog ring T5 will kill you on the street. Feels like the trans will come through the floor every shift. The 185's make plenty of power.
a 347" engine being larger than your 302" engine requires more cylinder head, especially when its N/A and not supercharged

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
My 347 N/A motor was a 70s 302 block with main gridle, H beams rods a forged crank,12.1 domes,custom grind soild roller with 650 lift,Victor Jr intake with a 750 holley,FoxLake Victor Jr Stage 3 head,1 3/4 headers with flowmaster mufflers, [email protected] ran 6.66-6.70s @ 102.58 with 60ft 1.45-1.46 all day behind c4 trans in a 3050lbs pro street mustang.This combo has plenty race miles and won alot of bracket money.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts