Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine has a 73' 340 dodge with a cast crank.What balancer's will fit this thing.Trying to find one by the weekend for a cruise and all of them at the auto part's store don't really say which one they carry on the computer.The one he has is stamped "must use on cast 340 crank only" so can we use one for a steel crank?Im a chevy guy so im lost on the dodge stuff.What year's will work and such.Thank's in advance.

·
Registered
41,795 Posts
I'm a big block guy but I'll take a shot here. I think the cast and the forged crank are balanced differently, that is why the different balancers. One is internally and the other externally balanced, don't ask me which is which. It is a common problem with the small blocks. The earlier engines and the high perf stuff tend to be internally balanced and I would guess have the forged crank. The later stuff and all 360s are externally balanced.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Cast cranks are externally balanced while a steel crank is internally, so in a 340 steel crank any no counter weight harmonic balance will work 340, 318, 273, if the cast crank is what you have a counter weight harmonic balance is what you need!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Basically what ever you will find in any auto parts is the newer stuff or the external harmonic balance so you can go ahead and buy it like that!

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crank he has is a cast crank.Was gona try to get a good balancer,but we have to have one before sat morning.So we were looking for one that would interchange to get him ready for the cruise.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorry, the 340's never came with cast cranks

·
Registered
752 Posts
73 340's are externally balanced, it has the counter weight on the dampner, useing a balancer off a 360 should be fine, what is wrong with the one he has? why not just use it?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one he has was a stock one and it has spun on the rubber.The balancer he has has a counter weight on the outside stamped "must use with cast 340 crank" and all of the auto part stores have the no counter weight on the outside.So can we use a 360 balancer and be fine then.Like i said im lost on the mopar stuff.If so what year will work.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The one he has was a stock one and it has spun on the rubber.The balancer he has has a counter weight on the outside stamped "must use with cast 340 crank" and all of the auto part stores have the no counter weight on the outside.So can we use a 360 balancer and be fine then.Like i said im lost on the mopar stuff.If so what year will work.
any 360 balancer will work, they are all externally balanced

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is going to order a good balancer next week,but a buddy of our's died and we got about 40 car's doing a cruise sat to his funeral behind the hurs't and he wanted to take his 340 car cause the guy liked it.If it wern't for that we wouldn't be in a rush and i would try to find one on the forum's.

·
Registered
752 Posts
He is going to order a good balancer next week,but a buddy of our's died and we got about 40 car's doing a cruise sat to his funeral behind the hurs't and he wanted to take his 340 car cause the guy liked it.If it wern't for that we wouldn't be in a rush and i would try to find one on the forum's.
how bad is the balancer spun? why do you think it is spun?

·
Registered
883 Posts

how bad is it

my 340 I could not find one , it was coming off the center section so I put it on a press and pushed it in

later on I found one and changed it

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have had them spin and just found top dead center with a bolt in the number 1 cylinder, run piston up to bolt, draw line off zero on timing tab, spin motor the other way until it stops on bolt again, draw another line on dampner from zero mark on timing tab, center of two marks is zero on dampner, retime and run it for the day, or if it runs good and timing hasnt been changed just run it.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 360 balancer im sure we can find tmro.Guess there all the same "year wise".We thought about epoxying the rubber and try pressing it back on but it is about a 75 mile trip and hate to have it come apart cause i know there is gona be some motor reving and burn out's along the cruise cause that's what the guy alway's liked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts