Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to run a radial so i can drive my car on the street every now and then and race on weekends. right now im running a 31.5x13.5 slick on a 15x12 wheel just wondering if it would be safe to run the mickey thompson 315/60 on a 12 inch wide wheel, jegs says the max wheel width should be 11. anybody who has run like this please shed some light. realy dont want to buy new wheels either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
12s are more than fine. I know berry and a few others run 315 on a 14" wheel

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I run the 315/60 on a 12" Alumastar. They are nice tires.
this is exactly what i wanted to hear. i have the same wheel and plan on running the same tire with rim screws. do you drive on the street alot and if so do they ride nice? I been in my car a long time ago when my uncle owned it and we were riding on hoosier quick time pros...... it felt like a death trap. everytime you make a curve in the road, when you come out of the curve the rear would sway back and forth. never driven or been in a car with radials. i want to drive this car a good bit on the street thats the best part for me. especialy when cruisin oc comes around i live 15 minutes from ocean city.

·
Registered
280 Posts
this is exactly what i wanted to hear. i have the same wheel and plan on running the same tire with rim screws. do you drive on the street alot and if so do they ride nice? I been in my car a long time ago when my uncle owned it and we were riding on hoosier quick time pros...... it felt like a death trap. everytime you make a curve in the road, when you come out of the curve the rear would sway back and forth. never driven or been in a car with radials. i want to drive this car a good bit on the street thats the best part for me. especialy when cruisin oc comes around i live 15 minutes from ocean city.
OC, Maryland??? Funny you mention that... A while back when I had Hoosier QT-Pros, I had left a buddy's place in Berlin heading back towards Salisbury when I got under a rain cloud (or two). Mind you the car has a posi-trac diff in it so it is streetable. Well, 40mph was enough to put me into a full on Nascar style spin out and almost in a ditch because of the rain. Luckily no one was next to me or immediately behind me. At any rate, the M/T radials were on order within a couple days and are far better in the rain. They also just feel better in general and I believe are a must if you drive on the street. My father drives his '67 to work every day with M/T 275/60 ET Street Radials and has been doing so for about 4 years. They will last a while too if you aren't too abusive. The 315/60 has a much wider flat patch so I wouldn't recommend too much wet driving. I have done it, but I wasn't feeling all too confident. I will be at US-13 this Sunday to test out my new motor and suspension if you want to see the tires on a 12" rim and in action.

·
WHO DAT???
15,830 Posts
Here I have my 315's mounted on a 14" wide rim on the right and 315s on a 12" on the left.

And another shot. The 315 on a 12" closest and the 14" in front of it.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts