Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin's, a couple friends, and i were having a little discussion about this and wanted to get others opinions and or facts, in there standard strokes, with the same use of aftermarket parts, which do you think will perform better, me and a couple other people said the 302 because of it being physically smaller, lighter, and being able to spin faster.....but of course there was a couple people that disagreed.....what is your opinion? discuss:

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,795 Posts
Your friends are stupid.

All other things being equal, 50 cubic inches will make more power.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's a nice can of worms...on the 302...are you referring to the roller version, the '68 J code 4bbl, mexican block....on the 351..is it a windsor, cleveland, boss, CJ or modified????

and that's just for the foundation.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a nice can of worms...on the 302...are you referring to the roller version, the '68 J code 4bbl, mexican block....on the 351..is it a windsor, cleveland, boss, CJ or modified????

and that's just for the foundation.....
302 roller and 351 windsor

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your friends are stupid.

All other things being equal, 50 cubic inches will make more power.
you think so? i've heard of very reputable engine builders saying the same, that part for part a 302 will outperform a 351.....just sayin

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Turn the 2.300 351W rod journals down to 2.100, and turn the 3.00 mains down to 2.750 and use the bearing spacers. The 3.5 stroke 351W will out perform the 3.00 stroke 302. Now this is providing the 351W has enough airflow.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,795 Posts
Go to ANY major drag race and count the 8.2 deck motors. They are almost nonexistant these days, and thats not a coincidence. And of the ones you do see, 99% of those are 347 cubic inches or larger.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,795 Posts
To add more info, if we're talking ******* dogshit motors that are put together with a hammer and duct tape, then sure there are lots of 302s that will outrun 351s.

If you're talking race engines using correctly matched parts and proper assembly, the 351 will always make more power because of the additional displacement.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Go to ANY major drag race and count the 8.2 deck motors. They are almost nonexistant these days, and thats not a coincidence. And of the ones you do see, 99% of those are 347 cubic inches or larger.
Thats because the 351's arent 351's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i agree with you there, they are not used as often nowadays, BUT you could say the same about the windsor, in a race application it is not still 351 c.i. most likely

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
i have also saw this first hand, a 351 is obviously stronger.....but i think the 302 will outperform until a point
Yep... It will win the race to catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Turn the 2.300 351W rod journals down to 2.100, and turn the 3.00 mains down to 2.750 and use the bearing spacers. The 3.5 stroke 351W will out perform the 3.00 stroke 302. Now this is providing the 351W has enough airflow.
This is the only ture statement in this thread if you dont do these things listed above to as 351 Windsor then a 302/stroker will out perform a 351w. My buddy fast88 who posted earlier he had a 306 running 9.5's at 144 N/A with some high Ports and a Glide:smt071.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in my own experience i have saw a plain jane stock lower end 302 with victor jr heads, victor jr intake, f cam, with a plate spraying 200 go 10.00's all day in a garage built mustang, just seems to me you dont hear too much of standard stroke 351's performing like that, i am sure it has be done, but like i said my buddy, myself, and my cousin have all been 10.00's-10.30's with bullshit stock lower end 302's on spray

1 - 20 of 72 Posts