Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was under my car doing some wiring. If you can’t tell by now I haven’t started this engine yet. I just happened to look at my converter and noticed it’s pulled out kinda far. So I messaged perfect converter on Facebook and he said 1/8” to 3/16 is as far out of the pump as it should be. Mines around 1/2” or so. I know I put the converter into the pump when initially installed so it must’ve pulled out when I tightened the converter bolts. This is the same converter and flexplate that came out of someone else’s build. I’m wondering if maybe I installed the flexplate backwards or if there’s a spacer I need to put between the crank and flexplate or between flexplate and converter. I really don’t know. But I’m glad I noticed before I started the engine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not likely the flexplate is on backwards as Ford crank bolt circle is not evenly spaced. The offset is incorrect, why is up to PA. Remove the trans and be SURE the converter is fully engaged in the pump or you will kill both the converter and pump. Lots of ideas come to mind, but C4 converters are a bit unique. 157T converter is 5.600" tall, 164T is 5.900" tall. Can't mix them

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm maybe I’ll check to see if I have the wrong flexplate. It’s the same one that came out of a running combination I bought the trans, converter and flexplate as a package.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found out I haithe wrong flexplate. Being that I have a 302 h.o. Roller I’m supposed to have 157t 50oz balance. I have 164t 28.2 oz balance. So that also means my converter will be incorrect then? I’m assuming the car this was pulled from had a 351w

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only way to know what converter config you have is to accurately measure it. Pull converter off trans, stuff a CLEAN oil absorbent device ( you choose) into the hub to keep fluid from leaking and invert the converter onto the hub. Measure from the flat surface the hub is on to the flats where the converter studs or bolt threads are. 5.600" is 157T, 5.900" is 164T. My suspiscion is you have a 157T config.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way to know what converter config you have is to accurately measure it. Pull converter off trans, stuff a CLEAN oil absorbent device ( you choose) into the hub to keep fluid from leaking and invert the converter onto the hub. Measure from the flat surface the hub is on to the flats where the converter studs or bolt threads are. 5.600" is 157T, 5.900" is 164T. My suspiscion is you have a 157T config.
Thanks. Next time it’s above freezing I’ll hork the trans out and measure

·
Registered
936 Posts
MET,
The 164T flex will not fit into a 157 bellhousing....are you sure you got that right above?

If you have a HO, then you need a 50oz for the AOD...easiest to find....works for the C4 just fine.

If you for some reason do have an amazing amount of space like you said...the converter sounds like it is wrong.

Before adding spacers or anything silly like that, other than fixing the converter, another solution would be (IF YOU HAVE A 164 BELLHOUSING) to use a C6 flexplate that has more thrust toward the trans. I would be carefull with this though...it would only be for very specific situation such as this.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was told that I need the 50 oz it’s a 302 out of an 87 mustang. And the pa bell housing accepts both flexplate sizes and is drilled for both starter locations.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Gotcha....
Dang...all that rotating mass reduction and then you have to still use a larger bell that won't fit LT's as good...wth
But the good side is the 164 flex can be dual pattern for both small and large converter.

If it is stock crank, yes, 50oz...aftermarket or old pre 80 is 28oz like the 351. The firing order was changed for the HO as well.

Your spacing issue though is concerning 3/16 is perfect. It will probably WORK with the 1/2", but the spline engagement will be too close for comfort IMO.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m taking my converter and flexplate to summit to try to match something up. The converter isn’t even close to fitting the 157t flexplate

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck with that....

The Walmart of speed
Well I got a tci converter 10.5” 3,000 rated stall put it in with the new flexplate had 3/16” pull out converter has a balloon plate but it definitely fits 100% better than the other setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts