Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Id say right around 300 to 500 bucks if its in good shape. What caps are on it? 90% sure those are factory 2 bolt mains

Just did a search on corral and it seems like they go for $2-300 on there before shipping

·
GEAR DISTIBUTOR
1,070 Posts
I payed 400 for a complete short block with all rotating assembly and ran that mother fucker to the core.........9.93 at 135 with A TON of spray....lol then tried more spray and it cracked right down the middle on a STOCK FUCKING SBE

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
did they ever make a 4 bolt version from the factory? cause the only 302 factory 4 bolt I ever knew of where the boss block. never know maybe hes'e confused and has 6 boss blocks...:eek:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Only 4 bolt block from the factory, was the boss 302 block....it had 4 bolt mains and screw in freeze plugs.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Only 4 bolt block factory was a boss (69,70 I think was it). We ran one in Evans car for a long time! We ran 8.8x's with it. After a while it did finally split in half though! LOL!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Mexican block is pretty much an early block with non-tapered (289 hi-po) main caps.
It is NOT a race block.
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a race block...

later 5.0 block 2
early 289/302 block 2.5
Mexican block 2.75
Boss 302 block (1969-70) 4
Aftermarket 9-10

Modern Boss 302 is also very strong, but has short cylinders that make it crappy for stroker engines. Ford 302 engines already have some of the shortest cylinders of all at between 5" and 5-1/8". Who knows why Ford cast the new Boss 302 with 4.75" long cylinders. With a 347 (3.4") stroke engine, the bottom of the pin actually hangs out of the bottom of the cylinder by around 1/4"!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm gettin my dick pulled on this one...he says there factory 4 bolted mexican blocks and that they are not boss blocks...anyone have a picture of the front of a factory boss 302?

·
Ronald Reagans Ultra Ego.
7,452 Posts
I think I'm gettin my dick pulled on this one...he says there factory 4 bolted mexican blocks and that they are not boss blocks...anyone have a picture of the front of a factory boss 302?
Your getting yanked hard........ No such animal as a 4 bolt mex block, except if he has installed aftermarker caps on them.

as far as factory Boss 302 blocks.... they are pretty damn good.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Go to http://www.google.com and search for "mexican block" 302 and click 'images' at the top left. You'll see all sorts of pictures of the front and bottom end. The front has some unique nubs that make them easy to identify.

non-tapered main caps

The non-tapered main caps are the only functional difference I can see between them and the earlier 289/302 blocks. The later 5.0 blocks (came in hydraulic roller cam era 5.0's) were thinner and lighter than the early blocks.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
never heard of a Boss block made in Mexico....only the 68 HIPO, it was a 2 bolt

·
Registered
390 Posts

Sounds like its only worth 2 burritos :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I was always told they were not much better then an average block.I think the nickel content was higher in these and that is why people wanted them,but they will not hold up any better then the other blocks.They will crack right down the middle when you pour too much to them...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts