Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching and have an idea of what I want to do, but before I pull the trigger and start spending money. I would like some advice to see if I am heading in the right direction with my build, could save money on some parts that are not needed, or if there better parts out there. My goal is to have ~1300rwhp and keep the car streetable enough for true street events and ~1hour drive to the track and cruise-ins. I will also like to run the car on E-85 or C-16

The car currently has a 8.50 rollcage and chute, but would probably need some updating. My plans for the drivetrain are:

Short Block
-LSX, Dart, or ERL? I might wait for the Dart Aluminum block to come out next year. The ERL block would probably keep cost down with machining and they seem to have good customer service, but I like the idea of Dart or LSx to fix some of the oiling issues and stability of the iron block.
-4.125" bore x 3.622" stroke x 6.125" rod
-Callies ultra I beam rods
-Custom Wiseco Pistons:Compression 9.5 to 10.5:1?
-Callies Dragonslayer 3.622" crank

Heads
-Trick Flow 235cc 6 bolt cathedral port heads or would Mast or All Pro be worth the extra money at my level?
-I might have TEA CNC port them and set up with their Crower rocker setup

Valvetrain
-Hydraulic or Solid roller?
-7500-8000RPM Redline
-Springs and Cam Spec'd out For Setup

Intake
-I need something very low profile as I want to keep everything under the hood.

Turbo
-Forced Inductions 94mm ETR-HO billet wheel GT55 series turbo with a 1.3 AR housing
-Precision 94mm CEA Wheel
-I would like to setup the car to work well with a 88mm or billet 76 in case down the road I would do some class racing as in ultimate street or so on.

Transmission
-Rossler or Jake's 4L80E
-TH400 with Gear Vendor

EMS
-The only part I have bought, Holley Dominator EFI. I also plan to interface this with a Racepack IQ3.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pictures of the car:

Main Hoop

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/superchargedz
/300ZXRollCage2.jpg

Rear Bars

Photoshop by Friend

T-Top/A-Pillar/Dash Bars

Chute Mount/Bike Rack

[/QUOTE]

Doorbars/WindowNet/Swingouts

Changes I will probably make to the cage.
-Curve the harness bar for more seat clearance.
-Custom Window Net[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also looking for a good shop near Bristol, TN that could update the cage, fabricate the turbo setup, and set up the LSx with front midplate or motor mounts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope that was a 300zxTT to start with- otherwise your going to bust your diff and axles on the first launch.
I have worked on these cars a lot in the past- and as you may or may not know, their big issues were underhood temperatures that would destroy everything under the hood. We did a few boosted VQ swaps and those were very reliable, but a TT LS motor is going to make A LOT of heat- so I would stick with corn juice because that will help keep things cooler- ditch the passenger seat and install a BIG air-water intercooler and wrap/coat everything that gets hot under the hood. And those doors weigh about 200# each, so ditch all the glass and power shit inside of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is an original TT. It made 753rwhp(VG30DETT) with a manual and has had a TH400 behind it the last couple years. With the TH400 I was able 60' in the high 1.4 range. I have not had any problems this far with the factory suspension/IRS and diff, but plan to straight axle the car in the distant future. I would like to see how far I could take the IRS and diff, but don't think it will go too much further.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have to step in and say

you sir are building a BAD ASS CAR! Ive always had a love for these cars. best of luck. I will now actually read the thread. lol

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Bad ass project. It would be cool to see a car like this class racing.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
Go with the TEA shaft mount rocker set-up with Crower Rockers. Very nice set-up and I favor it with TFS heads and mechanical roller set-ups.

I'd personally do the ERL engine. Cubes and dimensions look great. Turbo choice looks great as well.

I would look into a single plane set-up with an elbow as no tunnel ram style intake is going to fit under your hood.

·
WHO DAT???
15,817 Posts
I have been researching and have an idea of what I want to do, but before I pull the trigger and start spending money. I would like some advice to see if I am heading in the right direction with my build, could save money on some parts that are not needed, or if there better parts out there. My goal is to have ~1300rwhp and keep the car streetable enough for true street events and ~1hour drive to the track and cruise-ins. I will also like to run the car on E-85 or C-16

The car currently has a 8.50 rollcage and chute, but would probably need some updating. My plans for the drivetrain are:

Short Block
-LSX, Dart, or ERL? I might wait for the Dart Aluminum block to come out next year. The ERL block would probably keep cost down with machining and they seem to have good customer service, but I like the idea of Dart or LSx to fix some of the oiling issues and stability of the iron block.
-4.125" bore x 3.622" stroke x 6.125" rod
-Callies ultra I beam rods
-Custom Wiseco Pistons:Compression 9.5 to 10.5:1?
-Callies Dragonslayer 3.622" crank

Heads
-Trick Flow 235cc 6 bolt cathedral port heads or would Mast or All Pro be worth the extra money at my level?
-I might have TEA CNC port them and set up with their Crower rocker setup

Valvetrain
-Hydraulic or Solid roller?
-7500-8000RPM Redline
-Springs and Cam Spec'd out For Setup

Intake
-I need something very low profile as I want to keep everything under the hood.

Turbo
-Forced Inductions 94mm ETR-HO billet wheel GT55 series turbo with a 1.3 AR housing
-Precision 94mm CEA Wheel
-I would like to setup the car to work well with a 88mm or billet 76 in case down the road I would do some class racing as in ultimate street or so on.

Transmission
-Rossler or Jake's 4L80E
-TH400 with Gear Vendor

EMS
-The only part I have bought, Holley Dominator EFI. I also plan to interface this with a Racepack IQ3.

Nice project you have there Andy. Should be a serious ride once you get her done. If you are in the market for some All Pro six bolt cathedral port heads I have a pair I may consider selling. They have the Beryllium Copper seats on both the intake and exhaust. 2.180 titanium intake valves. If you are interested shoot me a PM and I can give you all the details....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Picked up a few parts:

Holley Dominator EFI

Harnesses/Sensors

RacePak IQ3 Dash

L33

I decided to use an L33 as the mock up motor and learning tool, before I install the built motor. This will also give me time to sort out the chassis and suspension.

I am hoping to get the car over to Eric at Custom by Bigun to mock up the motor/trans and fab the turbo kit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Transmission Showed Up Today
Rossler 4L80E Term 4

Still waiting on parts to start the turbo kit fabrication andt rying to decide between A/W or A/A intercooler.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
A guy on tech has a LS swapped 300zx, I think LS1 excitment or Mayhem did it, you could maybe shoot them any questions. I know it was one of the NC shops though. I always wondered about the steering rack on a swap like this. I also think it is funny how much more room there is to work compared to the VG. Nice build, keep it up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bad ass build here bro! I think you will be right on that 8.50 cert once completed! Good luck with it and good choice on the rossler. Haven't heard a single negative thing about them

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A guy on tech has a LS swapped 300zx, I think LS1 excitment or Mayhem did it, you could maybe shoot them any questions. I know it was one of the NC shops though. I always wondered about the steering rack on a swap like this. I also think it is funny how much more room there is to work compared to the VG. Nice build, keep it up.
I have the steering rack done. I just didn't get any photos. I went with a manual Flaming River Omni rack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts