Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 540 Twin turbo and wondering what high HP people are using for transmission fluid and what RPM is everyone leaving at?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
Been out of the game for a while but I would suggest the transmission forum to find out what is the "hot" fluid of choice these days.....as far as RPM that will be dependent on your cars setup.

I used to run Mobil 1 which has a flash point of 428°f, however a lot of trans builders (back then at least) felt synthetic atf reduced friction too much reducing friction and sprag life (I never saw a problem).

A lot of guys used to run hydraulic fluid which has about a 20° higher flash point...but I have never used it.

All that said, the days of having to stand on the throttle/brake for 8 seconds trying to build boost are long gone so I am not sure how much of an issue flash or boil point is these days compared to 6 yrs ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. My learning curve tells me to use a full synthetic fluid and change it after each weekend. I have not tried the Hydraulic oils because everyone says they stick so bad after a couple of passes. Leaning towards going back to TCI. I tried the HPL and it was cooked after the 3rd pass.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You shouldn’t cook fluid in 3 passes no matter what type it is. I’d look at trans pressure during the pass, how long you’re on the break and bypass if it has one. The trans is on borrowed time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts