Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some testing with my 300 Weatherby sniper rifle I built several years ago. These groups are all at 300 yards in 90+ degree heat with a slight switching wind... to say mirage was an issue would be accurate. Of the 27 rounds I fired 23 were good to excellent, looks like the wind or mirage got me on 4 of them. The load is a 210 Grain Berger VLD (very low drag) match bullet at a little over 3000 fps. This load stays super sonic for just over 1800 yards. I will be taking this along with my other rifles to Idaho to shoot on my 1200 yard rifle range I have there. I think in perfect conditions the rifle will shoot all of its rounds into a 1 in. circle at 300 yards.

Here is a pic of the rifles, 308 police sniper rifle I built when I was in the Marine Corps. 300 Weatherby, .30-.378 Weatherby (now finished) and a 408 Cheytac built by EDM arms

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wow, that is very impressive. I was patting myself on the back a few years ago when I hit a Campbell's Soup can at 150 with a 30-06.

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
the third rifle is just PIMP!!
great collection, I cant wait to build or get me a new long range rifle
Good starting foundation is a 700 Remington in .308.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Cheytac FTMFW!

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Like I said on another post...Headshots on Deer are possible.
If your rifle don't print under a postage stamp why have it???

Nice targets...looks like some loads are working out for you well!!!

Keep up the good work...:smt023

Gold bands on scopes are noted...;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The top rifle is a 308 built on an accurized Rem 700. They are nice little actions, the new Savages are very nice for the money also. You can cut a nickle in half and cover most of the three shot, 100 yard groups, that 308 has shot.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said on another post...Headshots on Deer are possible.
If your rifle don't print under a postage stamp why have it???

Nice targets...looks like some loads are working out for you well!!!

Keep up the good work...:smt023

Gold bands on scopes are noted...;)
Ya, I am partial to Leupolds; if I am feeling rich I buy a NightForce (on the 408) 5.5x 22 x 56

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. :smt066

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

thanks.
I juts picked up my new polaris 700 ranger yesterday, so it'll be next month or maybe two before I start my hunt for a new rifle.
I'll be hitting a few of you guys up for advice.

thanks again

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Had a good shot with a 22-250 at 350 yds, hit the paper dead center. Handmade load using a Nosler Ballistic tip.

Made the same shot with a H&K 308, then all the rest sucked,,lol! H&K's kick like a mule, gun was sold.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I did some testing with my 300 Weatherby sniper rifle I built several years ago. These groups are all at 300 yards in 90+ degree heat with a slight switching wind... to say mirage was an issue would be accurate. Of the 27 rounds I fired 23 were good to excellent, looks like the wind or mirage got me on 4 of them. The load is a 210 Grain Berger VLD (very low drag) match bullet at a little over 3000 fps. This load stays super sonic for just over 1800 yards. I will be taking this along with my other rifles to Idaho to shoot on my 1200 yard rifle range I have there. I think in perfect conditions the rifle will shoot all of its rounds into a 1 in. circle at 300 yards.

Here is a pic of the rifles, 308 police sniper rifle I built when I was in the Marine Corps. 300 Weatherby, .30-.378 Weatherby (now finished) and a 408 Cheytac built by EDM arms
You may want to try the JLK 210 VLD. Much better BC

.665 compared to .631 http://www.swampworks.com/jlk/

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

Have you shot the .30-.378 yet? I tried to work load for one for a friend of mine a couple of years ago and just could not make it shoot less than 1.5" at 100 yrds. I tried about 3 kinds of powder, 4 or 5 different weight bullets and just about anything I could think of and it just wouldn't shoot. That is the only rifle I tried to make shoot that I just couldn't. He finally sold it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you shot the .30-.378 yet? I tried to work load for one for a friend of mine a couple of years ago and just could not make it shoot less than 1.5" at 100 yrds. I tried about 3 kinds of powder, 4 or 5 different weight bullets and just about anything I could think of and it just wouldn't shoot. That is the only rifle I tried to make shoot that I just couldn't. He finally sold it.
No, I was just starting to reload for it when I discovered the gunsmth put the wrong chamber in the damn thing. In my long range rifles I only shoot turn neck tight chambers and this thing is wayyyyy to big, so it goes back to another gunsmith I know when he gets back from over seas.

I plan on shooting Sierra 240 gr. Match Kings at around 3100-3200 fps. I have a 33 in. barrel so I hope I can achieve those velocity's

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Anyone else getting red X's?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry guys the pics were up for over a month. I switched domain names for my work web site. I have have it fixed this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts