Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the run down before I shoot my question...

GM 454 block
4.28 bore
4.250 stroke
6.385 rod

AFR 265’s CNC port
Edelbrock 2904
Holley 80804

it’s a pump gas Deal with a 6 speed. Just a cruiser. Car previously had a crane solid roller in it, with the short Comp lifters. I’ve got a custom Straub cam for It, he also sent the lifters. AFR sent springs, retainers, locks, and cups.

here is my question,the crane cam has short lifters. Straub sent the .300 tall Morel lifters. The old lifters look fine they barely have 6000 miles on them. Everything mic good. Can I reuse the short Comp lifters With the new cam to save some coin on push rods? I was also told the .300 tall lifters aren’t a good idea for stock block. I’ve obviously shot Straub a email haven’t heard back. I been super busy haven’t made a phone call maybe he’ll chime in here.

shooting for high 500’s on pump fuel. I’m not 100% sure how good the intake is or the carb to get there. Any help with that would great also.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
There also should be no difference in lifter body height, oil band height, jut the towers and tie bar should be +.300
I've used boat loads of +.300 tall lifters in stock sbc and bbc blocks.

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comp on the left, Morel on the right. Im Not claiming to know wtf im doing here lol just tryin to figure what’s gunna be best for this deal

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You can easily measure the seat height on each set, but who knows if the pushrods were right to begin with. You also know that Ron is not going to steer you wrong .

·
Registered
683 Posts
I presume the cam change is for more power? So I would use the Straub cam. It has more lift & shorter seat timing, [ a whopping 22* shorter on the exh ], should help idle.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
You can run the old lifters but there may not be enough difference in the pushrod cup height to matter. If you're using roller tip rockers and the old "center the wear pattern on the valve tip" method for getting the pushrod length was used, the pushrods are probably the wrong length and your rocker geometry is probably wrong anyway. You spent the money on a new cam, it would be wise to re-check your rocker geometry.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Here’s the run down before I shoot my question...

GM 454 block
4.28 bore
4.250 stroke
6.385 rod

AFR 265’s CNC port
Edelbrock 2904
Holley 80804

it’s a pump gas Deal with a 6 speed. Just a cruiser. Car previously had a crane solid roller in it, with the short Comp lifters. I’ve got a custom Straub cam for It, he also sent the lifters. AFR sent springs, retainers, locks, and cups.

here is my question,the crane cam has short lifters. Straub sent the .300 tall Morel lifters. The old lifters look fine they barely have 6000 miles on them. Everything mic good. Can I reuse the short Comp lifters With the new cam to save some coin on push rods? I was also told the .300 tall lifters aren’t a good idea for stock block. I’ve obviously shot Straub a email haven’t heard back. I been super busy haven’t made a phone call maybe he’ll chime in here.

shooting for high 500’s on pump fuel. I’m not 100% sure how good the intake is or the carb to get there. Any help with that would great also.
First of all, you should easily reach your goal on Hp.

Second, you or your buddy took the time to get a custom cam and lifters. So there has already seen a $1100.00 expense. So why after doing a stroker crank, AFR CNC heads, custom cam and new lifters for that cam, would you consider saving a couple hundred $$$ on pushrods??? Now new or a few passes, MAYBE put the used back in. But since you already have the lifters, USE THE NEW LIFTERS. Sell the old ones with the old cam AND old pushrods.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
So I would use the Straub cam. It has more lift & shorter seat timing, [ a whopping 22* shorter on the exh ], should help idle.
Crane measures their Advertised Duration at .015", so it'll look about 10 degrees bigger then it would if it was measured at .020"

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mock it up and have a look. Look closely.

This bit me on the arse not too long ago. Top of the lifter bore had a chamfer and oil hole was exposing itself at full lift.
Thank you! I guess nobody looked at the pic of the difference and must assume new parts must use them

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The +300 on Morel Chevy lifters is in the tangs that connect the tie bar to each lifter, not in the body of the lifter. The pushrod seat on a Morel is in the same stock location. The tie bar is the only thing that needs to clear the OEM tall lifter bores or the aftermarket taller lifter bores.

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The +300 on Morel Chevy lifters is in the tangs that connect the tie bar to each lifter, not in the body of the lifter. The pushrod seat on a Morel is in the same stock location. The tie bar is the only thing that needs to clear the OEM tall lifter bores or the aftermarket taller lifter bores.
So while I got ya in here should use the new .300+ lifters???

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks to be Mark IV block, if that helps any.

GM 4 bolt mains on all mains. And it can accept a mechanical fuel pump

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
So while I got ya in here should use the new .300+ lifters???
With 6000 miles on the other set on another cam, they have lapped in a wear pattern with that camshaft. You do risk premature failure re-using the lifters.

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With 6000 miles on the other set on another cam, they have lapped in a wear pattern with that camshaft. You do risk premature failure re-using the lifters.
I get that. The band and oil hole are in a different location. Will the Morel lifters still work?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts