Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my 4.10's in the car now with some 3.42's so I can drive the car on the highway some. The car is an 80 Camaro about 3,300#. 406 small block, Chad Speier 23 deg. 227 cnc heads. Turbo 350 with a tight Art Carr 9" converter. 28" tall tires. N.O.S. big shot. The car has went 10.03 @ 138. High 1.3 60 ft. this was on a 200 shot. My question is how much do you think this gear change will slow my car down? Thanks

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
A lot, especially the ET. MPH might even increase. That's effectively 17% less gearing, i.e. 4.10-3.42 = .68 / 4.10 = 16.6%. The ET will be most affected in the short time...the 60'. Good news is that your Gas Mileage should see a huge improvement!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been a 200 shot right off the line. But i have to add that on both my 10.0 passes i didnt get on the button till about 100 ft out. So on both passes it was pretty sorry 1.5 something 60 ft. times.When i can get it to leave on the nitrous it has been 1.38

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think you'll be surprised. It'll be a big turd on the motor for sure. Like said above you will be able to spray it harder out of the gate and it will work the converter more. I'd back up on the timing some for the first couple passes though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks guys. I've had problems with the switch out on the carb so now I have it on the shifter, should be able to get on it right away. Pull a couple degrees of timing out for the extra load because of the taller gears? I would like to be able to just spray more but this is a stock block 400 and I'm probably at around 700 h.p. or so and don't want to push my luck much more.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. I've had problems with the switch out on the carb so now I have it on the shifter, should be able to get on it right away. Pull a couple degrees of timing out for the extra load because of the taller gears? I would like to be able to just spray more but this is a stock block 400 and I'm probably at around 700 h.p. or so and don't want to push my luck much more.
Yep pull a couple degrees just to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts