Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Dana60 going together and will be replacing the axle tubes with 3" diameter 1/4" wall thickness DOM tubing. I picked up some billet Ford Torino style housing ends and found that I'll need to open the inside diameter of the tubes for the ends to fit in? Is this the best way to go or are there other options? I need to run this style bearing to use the Ford Explorer disc brake setup I have.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
I've got a Dana60 going together and will be replacing the axle tubes with 3" diameter 1/4" wall thickness DOM tubing. I picked up some billet Ford Torino style housing ends and found that I'll need to open the inside diameter of the tubes for the ends to fit in? Is this the best way to go or are there other options? I need to run this style bearing to use the Ford Explorer disc brake setup I have.
The housing ends are supposed to weld onto the tube not into it. It you weld them inside you won't be able to correct any geometry issues with the tubes themselves.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, The housing ends I have do go into the tubes and have a small register for the inner seal for use with sealed bearings. Are there other housing ends I can use? If you use the ends without the register can the seal just be put into the axle tube-it looks like the seal diameter is 2.5" which matches the inner diameter of my tubes. I'll try to get some pics of the ends I have.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know when Ford designed this setup they used an inner axle seal with sealed bearings. I used the same style factory housing ends on a narrowed Ford 9 and used inner seals and one ended up leaking so I know they are there for a purpose. Are you running sealed bearings with no seals? The outer diameter of my ends measure 2.590" and the tubing I have has an inner diameter of 2.5" so it looks like I'll have to cut .045 or a little more off the the wall thickness. Now I see why the factory 9" housings had tubes with 3/16" wall thickness.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Your not understanding.Your ends need to be aligned to the centerline of the center section,not the tubing.The ends should be welded to the tube using an alignment bar and won't "register" in the tube since the tube is probably not straight.We have used a large Ford sealed bearing on alot of rears without an inner seal with no issues.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactly what you're saying, I have an alignment bar and bushings and plan to build a jig for this one. After the brackets are on I'll straighten the tubes out to be concentric with housing ends and the alignment bar. I've done it before and I realize it's more precision work but I'd rather the tubes be straight with the centerline. What bearing are you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts