Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what hp level should you upgrade to the 3.812 9" case? And is the Moser bolt through case as good as the strange ultra case? I have 40 spline axles. Looking to upgrade soon

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
At what hp level should you upgrade to the 3.812 9" case? And is the Moser bolt through case as good as the strange ultra case? I have 40 spline axles. Looking to upgrade soon
May it be exactly as strong but it's very close... You can do 40 spline in a 3.250 case with a steel spool... What kind of power do you have?

I've been putting 1500hp thru 35 spline axles/alum spool for years but on small tires.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 588bbc 1 kit on 275s. HP is around 15-1600 if I had to guess. Looks like the 3.812 case is not much more money over the 3.250. Just curious the hp rating on the 3.250

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Its a 588bbc 1 kit on 275s. HP is around 15-1600 if I had to guess. Looks like the 3.812 case is not much more money over the 3.250. Just curious the hp rating on the 3.250
With Moser, the 3.250" and 3.812" bore case are the same price... It's also the same case with different bores within them.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
Sam, is the Moser comparable to the strange ultra case?
www.strangeeng.net

Look at the pictures of the Ultra case.
Then look at the Moser 3.25 bore through bolt case.

Now compare the SIZES of the bearings,
retainers and pinion support.

The Ultra Case is just that, an ULTRA case!

For roughly $1,00.00 for an Ultra case,
you just need gears and a spool.
EVERYTHING else is bigger so it all comes as a unit.

For pure strength, I would use nothing else.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
If you look at stranges website, when buying a complete center section, it looks like anything with a 40 spline spool uses the 3.812, and anything with 35 spline spool gets the 3.25 case. It does show the option to upgrade to 40 spline stuff with the 3.25 case though. I use the Pro HD case and not ever had any issues. It's a little cheaper than the ultra depending on options. I wonder if the ultra is worlds better than the pro HD.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would call strange. You can't just rely on hp ratings. The car weight, clutch/converter, and tire size also plays an important role in deciding how much you need. I went with the ultra case for the mere fact of it is more than I need but exactly what I want so I won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Anyone know the weight difference between the ultra case and the HD or Moser?
the Strange Ultra is the heaviest of the aluminum 3rd members, but without a doubt the strongest by far out of Strange HD, Moser, or Mark Williams. it is still 10-15 lbs. lighter than a Nodular iron unit.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I am putting 1800hp through a 3.25" Moser. No problem.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I am putting 1800hp through a 3.25" Moser. No problem.
At what weight? That's more of the issue then your HP and size of carrier.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the strength issue with the 40 spline axle and 3.25 case is the thickness of the area around the spool bearings. I like the Strange 3.812 ultra-case.
Strange told me the same thing. We are going with the 3.812 ultra case. Which fluid are you guys having good results with?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts