Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where can i purchase this in .083 wall. i called dillsburg aeroplane works and they do not stock it. looking for a reputable company to order from. or somewhere in the pa,nj,md,ny are. Looking to start my 25.5 chassis.

thanks in advance,

newbie.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
Where can i purchase this in .083 wall. i called dillsburg aeroplane works and they do not stock it. looking for a reputable company to order from. or somewhere in the pa,nj,md,ny are. Looking to start my 25.5 chassis.

thanks in advance,

newbie.
just curious why you want it in moly it won't save you any weight and for where it would get used wouldn't be much stronger.

and just to warn you you might get bitched at for not hitting the newby thread first.

·
Registered
752 Posts
why moly? and if you want to use moly, why not make it out of round tube? oh yeah, hit the newb thread!! Fuckin Newb LOL just kidding, I got the same shit when I got on here and I see everyone else does to

·
Registered
234 Posts
If your going moly go all round tube, and if your going round tube might as well go 25.3. The specs are damn close just a few extra bars and a few are slightly larger OD .

Do it once and do it right or you'll regret it later!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the square and rectangular is the floor of this car has alot of up and down bends, creases, etc in the factory floor pan. If I use square or rectangle it will be 100 times easier to weld the pans to the bars. and I will probably just use mild steel now......as i will be able to mig the floors to the bars instead of trying to tig weld the floor to the chromoly bars.

I was going to try and use all chromoly but I may just use mild steel rectangle for 3 of the bars.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ive done several 25.5 mustangs and never used box, always round tubing, it can be done with the stock floors with no problem.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
what car are you building ?? and if i was gonna use moly i,d build a 25.2 or 25.3 car and be certed sub 7.50 , more resale value IMO .

·
SD AUTOFAB
2,116 Posts
my buddy has an eastexas car and it has 2x2 square main rails. might just be a preference to some people, but i agree with overkill, not going to gain much by using moly instead of mild in the instance of 2x2 or 2x3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what car are you building ?? and if i was gonna use moly i,d build a 25.2 or 25.3 car and be certed sub 7.50 , more resale value IMO .

It is for a VW Corrado front wheel drive. Car has run 8.98 @ 166mph

No resale value, limited market. When ever they open registration back up here on the Bullet, I can have him chime in.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts

thanks in advance,

newbie.
apparently no one wants to answer your ? but rather just tell you what you should do. Try here.
http://secure.chassisshop.com/default.aspx?serverid=TCS

·
I kill parts
10,377 Posts
The reason for the square and rectangular is the floor of this car has alot of up and down bends, creases, etc in the factory floor pan. If I use square or rectangle it will be 100 times easier to weld the pans to the bars. and I will probably just use mild steel now......as i will be able to mig the floors to the bars instead of trying to tig weld the floor to the chromoly bars.

I was going to try and use all chromoly but I may just use mild steel rectangle for 3 of the bars.

Thanks guys.
Just for note, you can MIG moly just fine. If done at tube joints it won't pass tech for a moly specific cert, but just for the floors as you're saying it would be no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reason for the 2x3 chromoly was because that is what is spec'd in the 25.5 rule book as an option, anyways, I mainly just needed the box in my hand and at my disposal to physically look at and visualize if i could make it work. I got tired of trying to find 2x3 locally, so I am now gonna use 1 5/8 tubing now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts