Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for pics of malibu's with that tire, cant seem to find any good info on what all needed to be done to fit them on MR.com. anyone done it? do you have to go all the way to the inner frame rail?

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on no one knows?

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I don't have pics but I know my buddy will have to do extensive work to fit 29's on his so he stuck with 28's. Major notching of the frame rails, ect.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mines not a Malibu but a GN and with a frame notch all the way to the backside and moving the tubs in I couldn't fit a 29.5X10.5 MT. It was too close on the front of the wheel well. A 30X10 Goodyear actually fit better but was still too close.

I went with a 28.5X11.5 instead.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,929 Posts
roll the lip,mini tub and notch the frame..

thats what most do to fit a 295 or 315 radial which is about the same size

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
Try the guys over at www.MalibuRacing.com there are a couple over there that have run that tire on their car. Like Tony said, roll the fender lip and notch the frame is what its going to take.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
LMAO mine has less than that left, it is just the inner skin with a tube ran behind it, going up to the ARB and back to a cross bar in the rear between the horns

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,929 Posts
i'm shocked no one does like a side ways c-notch for on these cars,you know the style notch that the mini truck guys do to lay frame

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried a set on 10" rims,5 1/2" backspace,frame notched to the seam.Fit in the wheelwell fine but was very close to the front bottom edge of wheel opening.I went with a 28" tall rather than notching body panels.

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, after looking at the pic, is that even strong? i know your adding bracing, but wow does that look thin. when you say you had to cut the wheel well, or wheel opening, where? in the front? i fitted a 28.10.5 on a 10 inch wheel with 6.5" of back space. the tire hit the frame rail. from what i could see, if i notched the frame to the seam, it would have fit fine, other then maybe needing to "clearance" the stock wheel wells, ie a BFH. while i'd be happy fitting a 28x10.5 tire, i like both the look and taller sidewall of a 29.5. with the 10inch rim, on the 28" tire it looked like the rim was extreamly close to the frame. do you have any more pictures of what all you had to do? maybe some with the wheels off.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
OK, now there's a thin Frame rail for you, LOL, Its plenty strong because of the cage set up behind it, and its tied in front and back, but it still fits to Stock Susp rules

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
i didn't do this car, it is just one that i have here at the house to do a little work on. here is the only other pic i took of the tire the other night, if you can tell the only place it appears to be cut is just the lower leading edge. i'll snatch a wheel off tommorow and get a couple more for you. this one is done a little differently than alot of the ones i have seen, but it has been done for some time now, and no signs of it giving up yet. the heads of the rear bumper bolts look like they have had a grinder ahold of them, so it has seen several hard launches:). a friend of mine used to own it and it was a local grudge race car for years, new owner wants to do a little 275 radial racing with it.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
most of the rest of them i've seen done look more like jeffs above, and like he said, everything is tied together so it isn't going anywhere

·
"Someday"
2,426 Posts
I have run a 29.5 with a 10" wheel 5" bs on a QP 9" rear end. Stock style suspension with a frame notch and mini tub. Frame is cut all the way to the inner skin with the outer skin trimmed and welded flat against the rear skin. I needed the bracing just like you see for the side to side movement. I put a bar from the main hoop of the cage down to the top of the lower arms also to keep them from ripping off the frame again. It all seems to be working fine with no rubbing.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts