Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mickey Thompson says use a 10" wheel for a 10.5 slick,Hoosier says you can use a 8" wheel.Just wondering how much hook you really give up by using the smaller wheel and is it worth going to a 10" wheel?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You can fit it on the 8" wheel, but it will look funny and won't be as stable on the top end as it would with a 10 or 12" wheel and will not have as much contact patch because of the roll of the side walls on the 8" wheel. Most guys running 10.5 class racing are running 12" wheels.

I had put a 28x9 on an 8" wheel and raced with that combo for a few years. Got a flat on a Friday night at the track before a race Saturday and nobody stocked the 28x9, so I had to buy 2 new 28x10.5 and have them mounted. They worked fine for my combo at the time which was probably 500-550 horsepower at the crank and 1.45-1.50 sixty foots.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like a 12" wheel

·
Gas Passer
4,930 Posts
Mickey Thompson says use a 10" wheel for a 10.5 slick,Hoosier says you can use a 8" wheel.Just wondering how much hook you really give up by using the smaller wheel and is it worth going to a 10" wheel?
I used 8" wheels on the mustang in my avatar and sixtied low 1.30's with a stock T-5 on the motor. My best ever was a 1.31 sixty foot with no power adder. It seemed to work ok for me, but I wasn't pushing 1500 hp. lol James

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks Guys,that's the info I'm looking for.

I run a 28x10.5 mickey slick and started out with a 8" rim. I got a set of 10" rims on a deal, both rims same weld drag lites and no lie the 10" rim did sit about an inch more of contact patch on the pavement. I sat them side by side one on the 8" and one on the 10" and was suprised at the real difference the 10" made. I would go at least 10" to get the full effect.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,went and got the 10" Welds today,that's all the bigger I can fit in the stock well,maybe I can get a little more hook now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts