Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy new front runners on my 1980 camaro.

Its a ladder bar drag radial car, factory wheel tubs

Im running a 295/55/15 hoosier DR2s in the rear.

I always ran 26" front runners, I know you get some roll out advantages on the 28s.

Whats you guys opinions that ran both?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Front tire size is a personal preference and depends on your driving style. Run the taller tire, stage very shallow and possibly pick up some E.T.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
A 28 can look goofy on the wrong car, Be nice if you know someone who will let you put one on to see how it looks. I think they look too big on a foxbody but might look great on a Camaro.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 80 & 68 Camaro; ran both 26" & 28" sizes. I prefer the 28" tire on both cars for .500 full/pro tree. If running .400 pro light I will run the shortest possible, but it looks like shit. The 28" IMO, looks better/performs better on both cars. Both cars are high 9 sec. cars.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I use whatever looks best on the car. My Chevelle looked funny with 26" tires on it.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I have a hoosier 25 on the front of my mustang that a buddy sold me for next to nothing so i wanted to try it because they're so much than the 26 MT sportsmans i had on it , They look small to me , I didn't think 1'' would make that much difference looks wise but it does.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
We run the tallest tire we can find. (90 Camaro IROC) More roll out is always quicker as it gives you more dragstrip to race on. Its just plain faster. The Moroso 29.1 inch is our preference. That front wheelwell is full of tire, that's for sure, but you won't find any class cars running short tires. My older brother likes the tall look. Says it looks "old school" and less "Jap" . LOL

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,893 Posts
We run the tallest tire we can find. (90 Camaro IROC) More roll out is always quicker as it gives you more dragstrip to race on. Its just plain faster. The Moroso 29.1 inch is our preference. That front wheelwell is full of tire, that's for sure, but you won't find any class cars running short tires. My older brother likes the tall look. Says it looks "old school" and less "Jap" . LOL
All depends what is needed...........

I need to be able to hit the tree, ET does not matter, so to shallow stage and use the Foot Brake, I need a short tire, that is when I run a 26" tire. I don't like the look as much on my car, 3rd Gen F-Body, but it does what I need it to.

I have friends that will run a 24" tire for the same reason, they look really STUPID, but they do the job. Again, it's hitting the tree off the Foot Brake with a heavy car.

When I Deep Stage or leave off the Trans Brake I can run my 28" tires which I prefer, they just look "correct" on my car.

For those primarily looking for ET and care less about hitting the tree, run a tall front tire and put some stagger in the front end.............

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
All depends what is needed...........

I need to be able to hit the tree, ET does not matter, so to shallow stage and use the Foot Brake, I need a short tire, that is when I run a 26" tire. I don't like the look as much on my car, 3rd Gen F-Body, but it does what I need it to.

I have friends that will run a 24" tire for the same reason, they look really STUPID, but they do the job. Again, it's hitting the tree off the Foot Brake with a heavy car.

When I Deep Stage or leave off the Trans Brake I can run my 28" tires which I prefer, they just look "correct" on my car.

For those primarily looking for ET and care less about hitting the tree, run a tall front tire and put some stagger in the front end.............
Yea Mike, of coarse the RT is important. But we will put the tallest on first, then do all things possible to work around the RT consequences. Chip it up, instantaneous buttons, back tires full of air and shocks to accommodate, ect. We even changed tranny brake valving last year because of RT. But we leave those front tires on because of the free ET.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Before you buy a 28 or so....research fender clearance AND wheel backspacing...The wrong combination and they may rub up front. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
26 is what's on my car in my avatar but you can't see them. :) Any smaller looks bad in my eyes, I do have a set of wheels with 5.50 Morosos but haven't ran them for several years.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Well this thread got me off my azz and i went out in the shop and took the 25'' hoosier's off the rims and put my 26'' MT sportsman's back on and i like it much better even tho i just added 10 lbs to the front , But then again i never noticed an ET change with the lighter tires.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
But then again i never noticed an ET change with the lighter tires.
Lighter front tires won't change ET by a measurable amount, however the taller front tire will result in additional roll-out which "should" result in lower ET.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts