Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 25.2 sfi book it shows that the floor x can be made out of 1 1/4 x .083 cm.

my question is what is the requirement on a 25.5 chassis that is bult out of mild instead of moly?

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
in my 25.2 sfi book it shows that the floor x can be made out of 1 1/4 x .083 cm.

my question is what is the requirement on a 25.5 chassis that is bult out of mild instead of moly?
.118" wall i used .120 wall DOM and it,s 1" OD .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to clarify, I just looked at my SFI25.5 specs and the mininum thickness for the 8A and 4 bars (floor diagonals and center X) is 1" x 0.108" in MS. The 1 5/8" bars need to be 0.118" minimum, but it shows the the 1 1/2", 1 1/4", and 1" bars to be a minimum of 0.108" and the 3/4" cage gussets to be 0.083" in mild steel.

I would still go with the 0.120" wall tubing. As a matter of fact, I am putting some diagonals in a car today of the 1" x 0.120" wall tubing and used some 3/4" x 0.120" wall tubing for the roof gussets.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Just to clarify, I just looked at my SFI25.5 specs and the mininum thickness for the 8A and 4 bars (floor diagonals and center X) is 1" x 0.108" in MS. The 1 5/8" bars need to be 0.118" minimum, but it shows the the 1 1/2", 1 1/4", and 1" bars to be a minimum of 0.108" and the 3/4" cage gussets to be 0.083" in mild steel.

I would still go with the 0.120" wall tubing. As a matter of fact, I am putting some diagonals in a car today of the 1" x 0.120" wall tubing and used some 3/4" x 0.120" wall tubing for the roof gussets.
your right got them mixed up on the wall thickness , i bought all my tubing the same wall thickness (.120")

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would suggest you be extra careful with .120 wall material and measure it for thickness before installation. I have come across several cars built this year with .120 material that measured less than .118 minimum. A couple were as thin as .110 in spots.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I would suggest you be extra careful with .120 wall material and measure it for thickness before installation. I have come across several cars built this year with .120 material that measured less than .118 minimum. A couple were as thin as .110 in spots.
was it DOM or ERW ?? i use DOM

·
Registered
316 Posts
was it DOM or ERW ?? i use DOM
Don't recall if I even asked as to material used, just remember seeing more tubing to the thin side of the standard on new construction this year compared to others at the chassis inspection seminars I conducted.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
ok, now my question is if i measure the wall thickness at the ends of a tube and you measure it in the middle and it happens to measure under, then what? i did my due diligence but it still fails.

and not arguing i am just curious what would happen in that situation?

at times i think nhra needs to be a little more lenient in this kind of stuff we have no control over the material we receive, we can send it back yes, but we have to build this stuff out of something and if our suppliers can only get what they can get what do you do?

with the price of steel i think tubing companies are pushing the limits of wall thickness more than ever before in an attempt to save material cost. makes me wonder if at some point tubing sizes are gonna go the way of the 2 x 4, when was the last time a TRUE 2 x 4 was made?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts