Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Loaded question... To many variables in how the 5 was or has been done and what it would take to get it up to a 3...

If you said whats the ballpark on changing a 25.2 to a 25.3, that would be pretty straight foward answer wise..

Between the 5 and 3 there are many bars that are larger, the 3 needs more gussets, if the 5 was built to the minimum of the spec, the gussets in the roof area and diagnol bar would have to get cut out, as they would be to small for a 3... Secondary door bars would be to small, you could have issues with the floor bars too depending on how the car was done..

Jay

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
I would seriously consider declining a job like that if it was a call to my shop.

My best answer without seeing it, time plus materials. As stated there are to many variables. Chances are the roof area is gonna have to be cut out and replaced, gussets added/replaced.....etc.

Updates from 8.50 to 25.? Suck bad enough and that's just adding stuff but to have to cut out and replace is even worse.

Get a different car and start over

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
What is the ballpark cost to update a chromoly 25.5 fox body hatch to 25.3 spec?
With me doing it.....you would be cheaper starting all over. Cutting the old cage out and cleaning everything up yourself would save you some money. There are no cheap 25.3 cages and there are so many things that go along with cages it's hard to give you anykind of close price.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
One thing to take into consideration is whether a guy wants a 25.3 just to say he has one, or plans on making 6.50 power. To me, a cert cage/chassis should be built for its intended use. IE, a 25.5 should be strong enough to hold 7.50 power in consideration with tire size too; And likewise for 25.3 . We also take into account how much cutting is done on the oem structure. If we were to build a light SB n/a car with auto, it would def be built different than a BBC TT that had to meet weight as well., or big power w a clutch. I dont do the min spec on 25.3 from the main hoop back. Call me crazy. lol So in other words, all the above.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Loaded question... To many variables in how the 5 was or has been done and what it would take to get it up to a 3...

If you said whats the ballpark on changing a 25.2 to a 25.3, that would be pretty straight foward answer wise..

Between the 5 and 3 there are many bars that are larger, the 3 needs more gussets, if the 5 was built to the minimum of the spec, the gussets in the roof area and diagnol bar would have to get cut out, as they would be to small for a 3... Secondary door bars would be to small, you could have issues with the floor bars too depending on how the car was done..

Jay
I had a guy tell me its only four bars different. He said he was all over the net and did the research. :smt044:smt044 He then took it somewhere else to be done because we were to high, and now they are having someone else call and "subtly" ask me how to do the 25.5 . Classic.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the input. I'm looking at 25.3 because the car is running close to the 7.50 limit of 25.5. It is a turbo car and must weigh 3450 lbs. I like my car but I guess my decision is to either keep it and do the 25.3 or start over.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I had a guy tell me its only four bars different. He said he was all over the net and did the research. :smt044:smt044 He then took it somewhere else to be done because we were to high, and now they are having someone else call and "subtly" ask me how to do the 25.5 . Classic.
Lol. 4 bars:rolleyes:

Jay

·
Registered
185 Posts

Maybe the Guy stopped at 4 Bars before he called and asked you ?....lol....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts