Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Trouble Maker, So Im told
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 25.2 car that was not comPleted , I had NHRA come over to inspect the cage before it goes to chassis shop to complete the car.
He tells me the funny car hoop isn't far enough out as my helmet jaw piece is outside of the hoop by about 2.5" roughly .
Also found out needs a few bars inside to complete the 25.3 setup not big deal .
My main concern is I see lots of other cars and the funny car hoop is no longer than mine .
Do I need to have this bar moved or is he just being too fussy ?
I'll try to post up a side pic later today or tomorrow of helmet inside from a side angle .
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Some inspectors are more lenient than others. Some of the cars that have a short hoop have the bars behind the driver's head curved/laid back. If the same guy will be doing the final inspection, may as well move it while it's in for the rest of the work.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
FYI, i have never had a nhra cert guy check the drivers placement in the car before certing the cages...ever... Up north or down here in the south..

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Some inspectors are just crazy picky while others are not. We took my buddy's car to Bristol with a valid 25.1 sticker on it and some dip tech guy who was also a NHRA chassis inspector told us the car was not legal and the trans cross member was wrong and actually wanted to throw us out. There were two other chassis inspectors there who said the car was fine and finally convinced the guy to let us run. You have to comply with whatever the guy you use wants I guess. I know what my NHRA and IHRA inspectors want and I follow their interpretation.

·
1,344 Posts
Sounds like the tech inspector is being pricky, but, by wording, 40A and 40B (front inner and outer funny car hoop) HAVE to be forward of the drivers helmet in normal driving position unless there is a padded lateral support.

·
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the tech inspector is being pricky, but, by wording, 40A and 40B (front inner and outer funny car hoop) HAVE to be forward of the drivers helmet in normal driving position unless there is a padded lateral support.
So this means if the bars behind driver are paded then it's ok for helmet to be outdated of the funny car
Cage ?

·
1,344 Posts
So this means if the bars behind driver are paded then it's ok for helmet to be outdated of the funny car
Cage ?
"Padded lateral support consists of additional padding, mounted on flat stock and fastened to the roll cage adjacent to each side of the drivers helmet. The padding must be securely mounted, centered at a height in the middle third of the driver's helmet, using bolts or locking fasteners, and must include a flame retardant covering. Padding must meet SFI 45.2.....". Quoted from the SFI book.

I guess they see this as a replacement for the bars not being far enough forward...just stick some padded plate out there. :rolleyes:

·
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it was the jaw section of helmet protruding out of said area , what if I let him spec the far with a open face helmet ?
Just taking shots at trying to save some cash

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
hey Scott we most of had the same dam inspector , he told me the same dam thing , i fixed it to what he wanted already , had it redone last week
mine in Toronto being finished up as we speak , to be honest it did make a little sence , i have a family now so i didn't freek out and just fixed it , seems a little more safer now

·
fabricator
1,172 Posts
Like already mentioned, I have never had a car inspected with the driver in the car. I don't think half the cars at the track would be legal by that standard.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Had the same question on my 25.4 build.

Here is what I received in writing from sfi:

Received this from Sfi in regard to question, thought i would pass it along as an FYI.

Very nice people at sfi, quick with an answer too.

Asnwer as follows:

"Dear Mike,

Thanks for your email. You still have the current version of Spec 25.4 and it hasn’t changed within the last two years nor is it expected to change for ’08.

The way the tech inspectors interpret the funny car cage bar requirement is that some portion of the bar must be forward of some portion of the driver’s helmet. It’s not necessary for the entire bar to be entirely forward of the helmet. You can angle the bar back as you described below and it will be acceptable.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jennifer Faye

Program Manager

[email protected]"

·
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the same question on my 25.4 build.

Here is what I received in writing from sfi:

Received this from Sfi in regard to question, thought i would pass it along as an FYI.

Very nice people at sfi, quick with an answer too.

Asnwer as follows:

"Dear Mike,

Thanks for your email. You still have the current version of Spec 25.4 and it hasn’t changed within the last two years nor is it expected to change for ’08.

The way the tech inspectors interpret the funny car cage bar requirement is that some portion of the bar must be forward of some portion of the driver’s helmet. It’s not necessary for the entire bar to be entirely forward of the helmet. You can angle the bar back as you described below and it will be acceptable.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jennifer Faye

Program Manager

[email protected]"

Thanks I'm going to email her this and get her to tell me this is accurate info and hand to my NHRA tech inspector .
Thanks dude this saves me some cash for other parts to kick Tony's ass more than before lol

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I don't think he's being too picky. The rules are written pretty clear as far as I read them.

I've seen plenty of funny car cages I would consider illegal per the regulations and SFI specs.

I don't understand why some make them so shallow, makes no sense.

Our standard dimension for the roof line bar (41b) is between 12 to 13" from the front edge of the main hoop. This measurement works for many of the cars we do. This is assuming the driver seat sits against the main hoop/rear funny car cage bars. Move the seat forward and this dimension needs to tweak accordingly.

"When required, any portion of the Forward Outer Funny Car Cage Bar (#40A) and any portion of the Forward Inner Funny Car Cage Hoop (#41b) MUST be forward of the drivers helmet with the driver in the normal driving position."

I see they allow up to a 4" offset on the outer bar (#40A) with a gusset added. Don't understand why this is allowed as it contradicts the previous sentence.

The open helmet deal won't fly since they are not legal for this ET range car/chassis cert.

·
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No inspection yet just a look for a heads up .
We are prepared to do what we have to if needed .
I'll measure the cage tomorrow and post my findings

·
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was Dave who checked out car ,thanks .
I have been friends with Dave for over 20 years , i respect his opinion and advice .
I'm just cheap lol

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
He's a great guy. He happened to be following behind me while I was towing to the track one day and did a preliminary inspection at 50mph.:cool:

·
1,344 Posts
I don't think he's being too picky. The rules are written pretty clear as far as I read them.

I've seen plenty of funny car cages I would consider illegal per the regulations and SFI specs.

I don't understand why some make them so shallow, makes no sense.

Our standard dimension for the roof line bar (41b) is between 12 to 13" from the front edge of the main hoop. This measurement works for many of the cars we do. This is assuming the driver seat sits against the main hoop/rear funny car cage bars. Move the seat forward and this dimension needs to tweak accordingly.

"When required, any portion of the Forward Outer Funny Car Cage Bar (#40A) and any portion of the Forward Inner Funny Car Cage Hoop (#41b) MUST be forward of the drivers helmet with the driver in the normal driving position."

I see they allow up to a 4" offset on the outer bar (#40A) with a gusset added. Don't understand why this is allowed as it contradicts the previous sentence.
Just means that rear most bar has to still be in front of the helmet...doesn't really contradict.

Pitbull...maybe your head is just too big for the cage..lol :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts