Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you leave the stock framerails in the car when going 25.2? Car is a 55 Chevy & is already backhalved & tied into the stock frame.The SFI book doesen't say.I'm sure this has been done before just want to make sure it's going to be right.Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definately a possibility,just trying to get away from cutting out work that's already done.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone if these are legal for a removable trans crossmember?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I was under the impression that 25.2 couldn't have any mild steel or any part of the factory frame :smt102

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was under the impression that 25.2 couldn't have any mild steel or any part of the factory frame :smt102
25.5 is the only one that can have mild steel or all mild steel. all the rest have to be moly!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone if these are legal for a removable trans crossmember?
i dont see a pic here at work. ill look when i get home. you need to get the sfi book and read it till your eyes fall out then walk away and reread it again!
and the crossmember i have in that car is allowed i just was not reading the rule right..lmao ill have pics of the rest of it up tonight.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
25.2 specs are all 4130..

25.4 and 25.5 are the ones that allow Mild Steel and Square tubing..

So get to cutting if you are wanting a 25.2

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm curious also, If you have a 25.5 cage in a full frame car and the main hoop and front down bars attach to the top of the factory frame I dont see how it can be converted to 25.2. The 25.2 book shows the main hoop/front down bars going to the top of an outer frame bar thats CM. I have both books but there not handy otherwise I would list the bars #'s.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Here's what I'm talking about:
http://camburg.com/images/fabricationParts/billetclampsnew/interlocking.jpg

Just got off the phone with Mike Rice from Div. 7 Tech & he said that as long as you follow the SFI book you can keep the stock frame & tie into it for 25.2 He also said that a removable trans crossmember was legal.So I don't know.
Nice pieces they make there,

As far leaving the stock frame for a 25.2 you could but you would have to build the round tube around the original frame, basically putting a round tube under or beside the frame, all of the SFI legal tubing in a 25.2 is round 4130

I have had tech guys tell me they would pass them but my 25.2 book has no allowances for one

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice pieces they make there,

As far leaving the stock frame for a 25.2 you could but you would have to build the round tube around the original frame, basically putting a round tube under or beside the frame, all of the SFI legal tubing in a 25.2 is round 4130

I have had tech guys tell me they would pass them but my 25.2 book has no allowances for one
That's what I was planning on doing,just curious if anyone had done that before or if anyone had any pics.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
That's what I was planning on doing,just curious if anyone had done that before or if anyone had any pics.
I did a round tube car that the tubing was not the correct size for the lower frame rails. It sucked but we got it done. Looked kind of funny having 2 pieces of round tube ran side by side

·
Registered
555 Posts

Can the main hoop/down bars remain on top of the stock frame and a bar added low like a rocker bar? If you did this the front/rear 25.5 crossmembers would still intersect the stock frame not the outer frame required by the 25.2.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Can the main hoop/down bars remain on top of the stock frame and a bar added low like a rocker bar? If you did this the front/rear 25.5 crossmembers would still intersect the stock frame not the outer frame required by the 25.2.
In a situation like that all of the tubing would have to be built above the frame All of the round tubing would have to intersect the round tube.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts