Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know a good load for deer in .243? Im shooting 80 grain remington express out of a browning BAR. I want them to drop right were they stand.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Does any one know a good load for deer in .243? Im shooting 80 grain remington express out of a browning BAR. I want them to drop right were they stand.
First thing get your ass over to the Newbie thread..Introduce yourselfYBBitch:

Second..shot placement is ever most important with deer size game with 243. Neck, head and lungs is best.
If I were to use one it would be with the Federal Serra 100g HPBT, Nosler Partion 100g or Remington 100g Corelok.
Speed is not a issue with 243win it has plenty add that with 100g a well placed shot should strike like lightning!!!

:smt023

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The only way you're going to drop a deer in it's tracks is with a shot to the central nervous system (brain, spine, etc). You better be a very good shot and know exactly where to hit the deer (and at different angles). The load isn't that important, but shot placement is. I don't recommend a spine or neck shot since the probability of a direct hit is fairly remote, and a lot of good meat will be destroyed. That leaves the head, and the brain in an average sized whitetail deer is about the size of a baseball.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I use federal premium loaded with 100g nosler partition. They don't go very far with good shot placement.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
The only way you're going to drop a deer in it's tracks is with a shot to the central nervous system (brain, spine, etc). You better be a very good shot and know exactly where to hit the deer (and at different angles). The load isn't that important, but shot placement is. I don't recommend a spine or neck shot since the probability of a direct hit is fairly remote, and a lot of good meat will be destroyed. That leaves the head, and the brain in an average sized whitetail deer is about the size of a baseball.
Oddly you mention this about the brain of a whitetail being the size of a baseball. I note you must hunt the same ground I do in the state of Michigan where it is rare to shoot deer over 100yds.

In light that I do not own a 243. I own many rifles I hunt with for all types of game. All the rifles I own @ 100yds will group 4 rounds from a cold shot within a postage stamp or better or they will not sit in the safe with one another. This includes the military stuff.
Now considering that I speak of shot placement and my ability to shoot these rifles as I do. We hunt deer and Identify them by there head gear. I would and have taken whitetail with head shots, even though the lungs is my preferred shot placement. Any of the above rifles I wouldn't hesitate to do so with a touch of the switch. As a matter of a fact if I am hunting for meat and not trophy 8pts and under I have popped many a skull cap or lower jaw bone clean off!!!

I own 4 weapons that I prefer to use for this species. Browning A-bolt in 270 win, a Sako L691 in 300 win mag, a Thompson Encore 50cal In line and a S&W 8 3/8 44mag. Out of the 4 the A-Bolt is the first to be considered. But there is no doubt. All of which take deer routinely. All have there place in the hunt.

You mention waste of meat. In today's bullet technology I find this odd. Even tho dead is dead...
Consider this...
Wait for the right shot placement...or change bullet design!!!

As for the 243..I have no use for the 6mm's. If you can shoot a 243 you can handle a 270 or 280 without question for more power hunting larger game and the 22-250/220 swift or even the 223 will handle anything below the 270.

Too each his own tho. Some folks like my dad use nothing but the good ole 30-30/35 lever and have success year after year!

:smt023

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks i think it will help me bag one this year although most of the time i hunt this year ill be using a .300 winchester magnum. my uncle shot a doe in the but last year and it dropped to the ground! it was still alive and when he walked over to it ran, but thats some seriuos power!:eek: I'll just use the .243 for fox and ***** or just target shooting.

·
Registered
56,155 Posts
I'll just use the .243 for fox and ***** or just target shooting.
Its a waste to shoot a fox with a .243. Any decent centerfire .22 is way more than you need for fox. A .243 will tear up a cuyute pretty good, thats the smallest I would go with it.

I use a .223 for all small game, its plenty. And if you dont mind maintenence, a .220 Swift is a great all around for anything under a whitetail, and if your a good shot it is not bad for them either.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Thanks i think it will help me bag one this year although most of the time i hunt this year ill be using a .300 winchester magnum. my uncle shot a doe in the but last year and it dropped to the ground! it was still alive and when he walked over to it ran, but thats some seriuos power!:eek: I'll just use the .243 for fox and ***** or just target shooting.
I have to say I don't find the "amusement" in your uncle's method of hunting.
As a matter of a fact, guys that take pot shots like this scare the shit out of me
and PISS ME THE FUCK OFF!!!

What ever he used, 300WM or any modern deer rifle caliber. If he could visualize it, they inhibit more then a enough power and reach that he could have waited for many many more chances at the animal to take it cleanly.
Even if he could not have because of obstructions, the shot should have not been taken then!!!
Nice example this so called hunter is setting for whom ever is watching the way he harvests game.

In the future I like you to know something that was passed to me from about 8 generations of hunters/trappers in this country some family some not.

In a nutshell...it is a unsung code of hunting conduct.
You take it for what it is worth...:smt102

I live by it!!!;)

In my own words...

We are hunters not savages of game. Hunters have shared the same ground as the game ever since life had began on this planet. We as hunters are obligated to kill swiftly, cleanly and humanly so that all can share in our harvest to survive without malice. Be resourceful, take only your share then give back ten fold, so that evolutionary cycle may continue for all people to survive of the earth. :smt023

(sh)

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Its a waste to shoot a fox with a .243. Any decent centerfire .22 is way more than you need for fox. A .243 will tear up a cuyute pretty good, thats the smallest I would go with it.

I use a .223 for all small game, its plenty. And if you dont mind maintenence, a .220 Swift is a great all around for anything under a whitetail, and if your a good shot it is not bad for them either.
Ever hunt a beanfield in a 40 knot cross wind with one of your .22's???
I have and will not longer use a 40g-55g rocket to do to.
There are many bullet designs today that reflect the performance of the impact.
Check it out...;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have shot deer at somewhat extended ranges 200-275 yards with a .243 and have killed them within a step or two. You dont have to shoot them in the head or neck either. I will not take a shot at any animal let alone a deer if I am not 100% confident it will be killed quickly. However i use a 105 grain Hornady A-Max and shoot them in the front shoulder... GAME OVER

·
Registered
56,155 Posts
Ever hunt a beanfield in a 40 knot cross wind with one of your .22's???
I have and will not longer use a 40g-55g rocket to do to.
There are many bullet designs today that reflect the performance of the impact.
Check it out...;)
Who the fuck said anything about a windy beanfield? I guess you have to make shit up to make yourself look good.

·
Registered
56,155 Posts
I have shot deer at somewhat extended ranges 200-275 yards with a .243 and have killed them within a step or two. You dont have to shoot them in the head or neck either. I will not take a shot at any animal let alone a deer if I am not 100% confident it will be killed quickly. However i use a 105 grain Hornady A-Max and shoot them in the front shoulder... GAME OVER
Many of my hunting buddies use a .243 for whitetails, with alot of success.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I used a .243 for many years for deer hunting. My favorite whitetail load is a 100gr Hornady boat tail spire point bullet with 42grains of IMR 4350 powder.

For varmints I use a Sierra 85 grain hollow point boat tail with 37.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder. Both are very accurate loads.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Who the fuck said anything about a windy beanfield? I guess you have to make shit up to make yourself look good.
I did!!! You mention what a waste to use a 243. Last time I checked ah..Dead is Dead??? You mentioned how the 243 tears up a pelt on a Yote.. I don't think .020 RCH will make a difference??? NO!!! But Bullet design will!!! Then comes the beanfield for a long shot... I have watched a Swift, 22-250 and a 223 drift up too 15 feet in a cross wind with a 40 gr Vmax. Take a 100gr Barnes-X, Sierra, Nosler in a 1/4"er slowed down 1k fps from the 22 and you might see 20 inches in drift with a whole lot of ass behind it..catch my drift???

Wooo.....Did I make my self look good again???

Sorry Didn't mean too....All I did was stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used a .243 for many years for deer hunting. My favorite whitetail load is a 100gr Hornady boat tail spire point bullet with 42grains of IMR 4350 powder.

For varmints I use a Sierra 85 grain hollow point boat tail with 37.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder. Both are very accurate loads.

I agree 100% with Monte. These are both very good and proven loads. I use both in couple of my .243s give or take a 1/2 grain. They both shoot well and those bullets provide good clean kills when placed proplerly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts