Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
245cc port, it's their biggest 23* low port head.
I forget the min csa, think it's around 2.8" - 2.9"
MIN on the AFR 245cc is 2.73in. Here is a new set I just opened up to 2.90in.

View attachment 45562
Is that the reason for the big jump in min CSA from the 235cc to the 245cc heads?

OP

If you're going to be spending some good dollars on a 23 deg top end, I'd first price up building a 4.125" bore 18 deg motor.

You can end up with either the same hp as a 23 deg build with a lower maintenance, cheaper to run build or a lot more hp with the same maintenance and cost to run as the 23 deg motor.
OP got a screamin' deal on a really nice short block set up for 23° heads. A 23° top end is way cheaper than 18° or 15° and doesn't give up all that much power at 388 inches unless the RPMs are way up there, so what's the big deal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes, if I didn't get such a great deal on really good parts I would be going in a different direction.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Is that the reason for the big jump in min CSA from the 235cc to the 245cc heads?

OP got a screamin' deal on a really nice short block set up for 23° heads. A 23° top end is way cheaper than 18° or 15° and doesn't give up all that much power at 388 inches unless the RPMs are way up there, so what's the big deal?
I didn't suggest there was a big deal. Just suggesting he looks at his options and prices them. I'd rather have a milder, 18 deg 400 than a more aggressive 23 deg 388.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
So what's the lower maintenance on a 800hp 18* vs. a 23* besides checking the valves more often?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
From what I've been told it's the same. But, checking to see if clearance has changed might be a sign of parts going bad like lobes or a lifter roller,bent pushrod......

·
Registered
718 Posts
So what's the lower maintenance on a 800hp 18* vs. a 23* besides checking the valves more often?
Generally a milder build to make similar power. You should be able to back your cam specs back a bit with regards to how aggressive your lobes are and still achieve the same breathing ability.

I also suggested upping the bore size to 4.125. Allowing same power to be made at a lower rpm. Lower rpm should mean less maintenance all else being equal. JMO.

·
Butch
8,204 Posts
700hp. Is it possible with 388ci?
get a pro Filer head to start with or get a pro Filer from chad

have a few of them running 10.0’s and one in the .90’s around 3000-3180 race weight without much

ask yourself how fast you want to go, your only 2350! so I’d do that or call and message chad

41 - 50 of 50 Posts