Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took almost an hour to call this one in. "Coyote pup in distress" call sealed the deal. She came up, stopped, and gave me a perfect right broadside at about 120 yards.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
you gona eat that coyote now????????

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice coyote !! what kind of caller is that in your pic?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I am really looking hard into a .204

but in the meanwhile, this is what my 25-06 with the 117 gr SST bullets and 52 grains of H4831sc is doing to my coyotes

in

and out

that coyote still ran like 40 yards after being shot.

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts

but in the meanwhile, this is what my 25-06 with the 117 gr SST bullets and 52 grains of H4831sc is doing to my coyotes

in

and out

that coyote still ran like 40 yards after being shot.

try sierra 87 gr bullets with imr4350;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice one congrats,

Now i need to get back out, seeing these Coyote pics is getting me stir crazy..:rolleyes:

And all i use most of the time is my 22 Hornet, it's an older Savage. And when i'm close to home, i use my 22 mag. New Savage. Can't use center fire near me...:(

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

Stick with the quarterbore. Or a .224. Its a good little cartridge, but it doesn't beat some of the traditional ones. High velocity is only acheived with 32gr. You can push a .22/250 as fast as the 40gr in .204. Everyone jumped on board (including myself, trying 3 different rifles), but now the only people I know that still use them constantly are prarie dog shooters. And that is because a couple thousand rounds of .204 are lighter to pack than .22/250, require a lot less powder, and bullets are cheaper when purchased 5000 at a time.

Don't get me wrong, the round does work. But I wouldn't give up another caliber for it....again.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Stick with the quarterbore. Or a .224. Its a good little cartridge, but it doesn't beat some of the traditional ones. High velocity is only acheived with 32gr. You can push a .22/250 as fast as the 40gr in .204. Everyone jumped on board (including myself, trying 3 different rifles), but now the only people I know that still use them constantly are prarie dog shooters. And that is because a couple thousand rounds of .204 are lighter to pack than .22/250, require a lot less powder, and bullets are cheaper when purchased 5000 at a time.

Don't get me wrong, the round does work. But I wouldn't give up another caliber for it....again.
I see your point..............

.......... BUT buying a .204 means that I can buy another gun...

pretty simple logic, in my mind. :)

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Thanks.

32 grain Hornady Vmax

in your original post you said that it almost took an hour to call it in. I also noticed that you were not camo'd up.

I have never tried over 20-25 minutes on a stand. What made you stay for an hour?

Nice yote by the way. does that .204 do any damage to the pelt?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in your original post you said that it almost took an hour to call it in. I also noticed that you were not camo'd up.

I have never tried over 20-25 minutes on a stand. What made you stay for an hour?

Nice yote by the way. does that .204 do any damage to the pelt?
Right now...it's Bobcat season so I started out with about 30-45 min of your typical animal distress sounds. No cat showed up, so I then swtich to dominate male and female barks/howls. I then finish up with the coyote pup in distress. If Im just gunning for coyotes...I can usually wrap things up in about 30-35 min.

The .204 Im shooting makes a somewhat nominal entry wound and hardly ever has an exit wound. Id say it is ideal for pelts.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
coyotes are good for something...

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
Personally do what you want but imho a .22-250 for a big varmint shell is a dandy as is the newer .22 Hornet V-Max for a smaller shell.

pdq67

·
Registered
144 Posts

22.250 does great for coyotes for me. The top picture was 2 seperate days while we had snow. There was 7 more that got away from us on those days, but we got 5 more later in the week.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts