Yellow Bullet Forums banner

121 - 140 of 193 Posts

·
Mother Hen
49,859 Posts
CG we don't see all the stops, we only get to see the ones they want us to see. Pulling someone over like yourself would probably be a boring stop? They are trying to entertain us.
I know. I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right. All the questions and everything. It just seems invasive. You either agree or they bring a dog and search anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
CG we don't see all the stops, we only get to see the ones they want us to see. Pulling someone over like yourself would probably be a boring stop? They are trying to entertain us.
And that’s MY issue with the show. Law Enforcement isn’t entertainment, at least it’s not supposed to be. Also, there’s NO reason every LEO doesn’t have a camera by now.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It also has a lot to do with where they are at. They are usually in crappy neighbor hoods, not the quiet nicer neighbor hoods. How many times do you hear them say this car just pulled out from a known drug house. You never hear them say this car just pulled out of one of our finer neighbor hoods.

·
Mother Hen
49,859 Posts
In four years of watching this show I can’t remember the cops searching a vehicle and not finding dope. Every car has something in it, that Toyota earlier tonight was that jackpot, three felons with dope, cash, scales, multiple guns and even bolt cutters.
Seems like every vehicle they stop somebody goes to jail, I’ll bet it 75+% go to jail
My mom says the same thing. I'm sure they put the cameras with the guys that probably work the worst areas and I figure the police are also fairly astute at figuring which people are up to no good, but still.

·
Mother Hen
49,859 Posts
And that’s MY issue with the show. Law Enforcement isn’t entertainment, at least it’s not supposed to be. Also, there’s NO reason every LEO doesn’t have a camera by now.
The original intention of the show and what it has accomplished very well, was to show what police have to deal with on a daily basis. By the time Obama left office, he had left the police as enemy number one. They had been hampered in their ability to fight crime. I think this show has helped restore some faith in the police force and made people realize that the split second decisions they have to make are not always so cut and dried.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
My mom says the same thing. I'm sure they put the cameras with the guys that probably work the worst areas and I figure the police are also fairly astute at figuring which people are up to no good, but still.

I live in Berkeley county and most of the stops you see are in areas of high drug activity, which explains why the cops seem a little stiff. The cops have a pretty finely tuned dirtbag meter and tailor their interaction to the type of folks they are dealing with.

The guy who looked like a discount Emenem last night was right next to my wifes office. It is kind of neat to spot local landmarks on TV.

-Abone.

·
Mother Hen
49,859 Posts
I live in Berkeley county and most of the stops you see are in areas of high drug activity, which explains why the cops seem a little stiff. The cops have a pretty finely tuned dirtbag meter and tailor their interaction to the type of folks they are dealing with.

The guy who looked like a discount Emenem last night was right next to my wifes office. It is kind of neat to spot local landmarks on TV.

-Abone.
I figure it is kind of focused on those kinds of areas. My stepdad is a retired police sergeant and my stepbrother just got promoted to investigator. When I watch the show with my stepdad and mom, stops will remind him of something and I get to hear stories of when he was an officer. My daughter has now decided she wants to get a criminal justice degree and become a SLED agent. I'm not sure my heart can take it, but she really wants to be a police investigator. I don't know how we went from a law degree and wanting to be a prosecutor to being a police officer, but she's a smart girl, so I have to let her find her own way.

That Obama store you see so much in Columbia is right around the corner from an auction house we go to regularly.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
That Obama store you see so much in Columbia is right around the corner from an auction house we go to regularly.
Hopefully you wear a bulletproof vest and get your business done then GTFO!
Whenever I get into a neighborhood and see a street sign that says Obama, MLK, Malcom X, or advertisements for Kool Cigs, Pawn Shops, Check Cashing and Colt 45 I GTFO ASAP!

BTW! Live PD would be boring if they came to my area..... Biggest thing here is kids driving across school yards and junkies who get their shit delivered by dealers in a Mercedes.

·
TD 3550
2,869 Posts
I figure it is kind of focused on those kinds of areas. My stepdad is a retired police sergeant and my stepbrother just got promoted to investigator. When I watch the show with my stepdad and mom, stops will remind him of something and I get to hear stories of when he was an officer. My daughter has now decided she wants to get a criminal justice degree and become a SLED agent. I'm not sure my heart can take it, but she really wants to be a police investigator. I don't know how we went from a law degree and wanting to be a prosecutor to being a police officer, but she's a smart girl, so I have to let her find her own way.

Good for her. Follow your Dreams, Don't dream your dreams. Since she is looking forward in CJ degree, she might want to pursue a position being a K9 Handler. Very rewarding.
Very special bond.

·
Mother Hen
49,859 Posts
Hopefully you wear a bulletproof vest and get your business done then GTFO!
Whenever I get into a neighborhood and see a street sign that says Obama, MLK, Malcom X, or advertisements for Kool Cigs, Pawn Shops, Check Cashing and Colt 45 I GTFO ASAP!

BTW! Live PD would be boring if they came to my area..... Biggest thing here is kids driving across school yards and junkies who get their shit delivered by dealers in a Mercedes.
It's like a lot of the South. You can go from a decent neighborhood to a scary one in no time. There are no problems where the auction is, but when you make a turn down that offshoot of the main road, you are suddenly at the Obama store. Much of the South was built where the main road would have the big houses and the roads directly behind them have mill houses and such.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I saw cotton and I saw black
Tall white mansions and little shacks

-Neil Young.

It is kind of unique to this part of the south, the poor and rich often live in very close proximity to each other. I have lived here 20 years and in my opinion, black and white co-mingle very well compared to other parts of the country.

-Abone.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I saw cotton and I saw black
Tall white mansions and little shacks

-Neil Young.

It is kind of unique to this part of the south, the poor and rich often live in very close proximity to each other. I have lived here 20 years and in my opinion, black and white co-mingle very well compared to other parts of the country.

-Abone.
The epitome of this is in South Florida, Hollywood Beach on one side on I-95 and Miramar on the other, don't get caught after dark in Miramar. We did a several remodels at the Sams Club in Miramar, and the is a walled off housing project right behind it. Great entertainment, if you want to watch any and all illegal activity you can think of. It was the only club I worked at that had armed security.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It used to be when you got stopped, they wanted your license and registration. Now it seems like they always want to ask to search you and your vehicle. If you refuse, they bring a dog and search it anyway. I get it if they have some reasonable suspicion like smelling alcohol or pot, but they seem to do it with every car they stop. That kind of bothers me. Why don't we ever see them stop someone, give them a warning or a ticket and let them go without searching them or their car? We no longer seem to have the right to protect us against unreasonable search or seizure, because I have never once seen a dog deployed that doesn't signal something. How the hell do we even know what a dog does to signal and you have to wonder if they are trained to do it on subtle command. There is something seriously flawed with this system.
While it may appear that they are hassling people, what you see is very good training. Many agencies are training their officers to recognize specific behaviors and read body language, much the same way that a veteran officer learns over years of patrol. The areas shown are most likely known narcotics "hot spots". The vehicles they stop, many fit the definition of " rolling probable cause" so to speak. You watch the drivers when they pass you on patrol. Drivers tend to drift towards the direction they are looking, if someone is paying way too much attention to a marked patrol car it arouses suspicion. Many of the officers you see are trained to look for telltale signs that a driver is up to something. Occasionally, a person doing nothing illegal will grab their attention, but once the officer makes contact with the subject and sees nothing suspicious the driver will be on their way. They don't advertise what they look for, as criminals will modify their behavior as a countermeasure. It's just good police work you see. That being said, the officers are human and make errors sometimes. Up until a few years ago around here, if you saw a GM car with the high beams on you would look for a broken quarter window. If you saw both, there was about a 99% chance that the vehicle was stolen. When they broke the column, they almost always pushed the high beam rod and got the switch stuck. There's always more than meets the eye when you watch the traffic stops being done.

121 - 140 of 193 Posts