Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided what we need is another Corvette thread.

After all that testing, an engineer never opened up the throttle to see how fast the Corvette went?

While we know a whole lot about the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette after the model's recent debut, its top speed still remains a mystery.
The reason that the public doesn't know the new 'Vette's maximum velocity is that Chevy isn't sure either, according to GM Authority.

“We still need to test that,” General Motors President Mark Reuss told GM Authority regarding the 'Vette's top speed.
https://www.motor1.com/news/361103/2020-chevy-corvette-speed-unknown/

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
"After all that testing, an engineer never opened up the throttle to see how fast the Corvette went?"

Isn't that a job performed by a professional driver?

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,700 Posts
Seems to me someone at GM would need to know the top speed.

How are they going to verify the car is safe at max speed without testing it at max speed ?

Just curious...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'm not surprised - closing off any place they could realistically have done a top speed run would have attracted way too many paparazzi to test an un-camoflaged prototype, and that camo probably had a few bits of Styrofoam under it to hide body lines that would have affected the aero. They probably have a ballpark number, but not the final, official data.

·
Registered
37,615 Posts
They know the top speed.

I'll venture a guess and say (governed at) 180. Just like the GT500, 180 is fast enough; it ain't a big dick contest. And no, they won't release any to the public until they're thoroughly tested and deemed safe at that speed.

·
Super Moderator
45,990 Posts
Seems to me someone at GM would need to know the top speed.

How are they going to verify the car is safe at max speed without testing it at max speed ?

Just curious...
If you're talking "crash test" safe, there is no car that is considered safe at maximum speed. You gonna die if you crash at top speed of pretty much any car, let alone cars that move at over 150mph.

Now asking whether the car is stable enough to remain controllable at top speed,....that is something they'll find out and put a governor on it to keep it in the safe range if needed.

·
Banned
947 Posts
I'll venture a guess and say (governed at) 180. Just like the GT500, 180 is fast enough; it ain't a big dick contest. And no, they won't release any to the public until they're thoroughly tested and deemed safe at that speed.
I GOT ON THE ORDER LIST WITH ONLY A $1000 DEPOSIT.

·
Registered
37,615 Posts
I GOT ON THE ORDER LIST WITH ONLY A $1000 DEPOSIT.

Yeah, there's some dealers accepting $1000 deposits; one Philly dealer is advertising on EBay already. Are they allowing people to spec the cars at this point or just putting you on an allocation list?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts