Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a guy at work looking to buy a new truck.
He's narrowed it down and current top of his list is 2019 F250 with a 6.7L PowerStroke.
He asked my opinion of the engine, but I don't know shit about diesels.
I told him I would ask the YellowBullet experts and get some opinions.

The reason for jumping up to the F250 is that he needs to occasionally pull some heavy loads. The truck will not be a daily driver.

So, what say you?

·
Registered
38,357 Posts
Any engine is going to have occasional issues...the 6.7 is no exception...but overall it's a good and powerful piece, light years ahead of the engine it replaced in 2011. EGR coolers (that problem has been going on since 2003 with the advent of the 6.0) and fuel pumps coming apart, sending shrapnel throughout the fuel system (a $10,000 problem) are the two things to look out for. But a new truck will have a warranty and he can buy an extended warranty if he wants.

Run good fuel in it, change all the filters at recommended intervals and otherwise leave that new 6.7 alone, meaning don't delete the DPF/DEF stuff or throw a tune at it - not on a brand new truck. It's plenty strong as it is.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
My cousin has the first year 6.7. Other than DEF bullshit that did cost him big, its been flawless. He own his own construction company and tows dozers and shit like that daily with it.
He also has an 04 Ram 5.9 Cummins with over 600k miles on it. Don't ask how many transmissions and front ends its had rebuilt. :p

The 6.4 is the big one to avoid. The 6.0 has its issues but its easy and fairly cheap to fix permanently compared to the 6.4.

My uncle had an 02 Duramax with the Allison trans, he put damn near a million miles on that truck. He drives balls to the wall everywhere he goes. He'll be doin 100mph with a damn trailer attached!! So he wasn't nice to it. He supervised the construction of 100s of Dollar Generals around the country.
The only reason he got rid of it is because his boss made him. lol
He got a 13 Duramax Allison dually, and he had tons of trouble with the DPF or DEF whatever they call it, the emissions bullshit. Literally had it deleted the week after the warranty was up. Zero issues since.

·
Registered
38,357 Posts
Uh no. Buy a new Cummins, do a $120 delete kit and live your life.

I'd buy a new Cummins just to get the 2019 Ram that comes with it. But that'a a matter of personal choice; The new F250 SDs are good trucks. So is a 2500HD Duramax.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,781 Posts
Uh no. Buy a new Cummins, do a $120 delete kit and live your life.
i have a '18 3500 ram cummins/aisin...... whats this 120 delete kit ?? mine is around 20k miles mainly towing/hualing miles, might consider a delete sooner or later but no issues

·
Elite Member
13,899 Posts

·
Registered
18,367 Posts
Have a guy at work looking to buy a new truck.
He's narrowed it down and current top of his list is 2019 F250 with a 6.7L PowerStroke.
He asked my opinion of the engine, but I don't know shit about diesels.
I told him I would ask the YellowBullet experts and get some opinions.

The reason for jumping up to the F250 is that he needs to occasionally pull some heavy loads. The truck will not be a daily driver.

So, what say you?
Under 15,000 miles a year get the 7.3 regardless, 15,000 to 40,000 depends on the actual miles towing, over 15,000 get the diesel, under get the gasser. Over 40,000 get the smoker regardless.

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
Just a good all round engine. Just stay on top of the fuel quality and basic maintenance.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,781 Posts
Sorry... $50 and free shipping. I used this exact kit on my 2017 2500 Cummins. the 10+ delete kits work on all current Cummins trucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Cooler...830317&hash=item4b5a9d8cdd:g:~EkAAOSwHAxcNsnJ
what about tuning ? if im going to delete im doing a full delete, exhuast and all....honestly im happy with the truck, dont see myself deleting unless i really need to, but with the epa on everyone i consider buying a tuner and stuff awhile for when i do need it....dont see myself getting rid of the truck for a long time, my 03 cummins i had for 11 yrs, got rid of it due to rust, short bed, and it was a quad cab, we wanted the crew cab long bed

·
Elite Member
13,899 Posts
what about tuning ? if im going to delete im doing a full delete, exhuast and all....honestly im happy with the truck, dont see myself deleting unless i really need to, but with the epa on everyone i consider buying a tuner and stuff awhile for when i do need it....dont see myself getting rid of the truck for a long time, my 03 cummins i had for 11 yrs, got rid of it due to rust, short bed, and it was a quad cab, we wanted the crew cab long bed

I used Anarchy Diesel for the tuning. Also did the 5'' turbo back.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
we have 20 2018 and 2019 F550 trucks with the 6.7. 14 have been back to the dealer for the mid plate leaking oil, and 11 have had new radiators due the the lower left seam leak. All less than 20,000 miles. Birdtracker

·
FHRITP
50,673 Posts
Sorry... $50 and free shipping. I used this exact kit on my 2017 2500 Cummins. the 10+ delete kits work on all current Cummins trucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Cooler...830317&hash=item4b5a9d8cdd:g:~EkAAOSwHAxcNsnJ

We have about 70 6.7’s in our fleet now, they delete them at 80k miles run them another 20k and mile them out. There is literally rarely an issue with the dpf system. We did have one guy put fkn DEF in his diesel tank eekkkkkk. Mine idles 15 hours a day, and after 11k miles I’ve only filled the DEF tank twice.

·
T/S 368E
32,439 Posts

I drove the '15 & '17 with a 6.7 for years and loved them so much I just bought a F-550.

They are monsters, and never a single issue.
You won't even notice a trailer until you start getting into something big like a 40 footer.
It tows my big ass triple TAG with ease, while my 7.3 does it, but she is begging to lighten the load.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
we have 20 2018 and 2019 F550 trucks with the 6.7. 14 have been back to the dealer for the mid plate leaking oil, and 11 have had new radiators due the the lower left seam leak. All less than 20,000 miles. Birdtracker
I'm not a diesel guy, but what is a mid plate and why would it be leaking oil?

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Get a TreeFiddy, go big or go home. I bought a 2004 F-350 Diesel 8 foot box CCab 4x4 SRW slide in camper package, snow plow package it rode great and pulled 12-16,000 lb trailers well. I had a 2012 F-550 6.7 service truck at work and loved it.
If I could go back and reorder the truck I would have ordered the V-10. The $$5-6,000 up front (back then) for the Diesel and the added maintance cost wasn't worth it for the amount I drive or tow. If he tows heavy and a lot of miles the Diesel will be worth it, if not go gas.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts