Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend and I took his 2016 f150 5.0 4x4 to the deer lease last week and pulled a 18ft car hauler with a older kawasaki mule (1,000lbs maybe) on it. On the way back it was windy and I just happened to look over and saw on the cluster we were averaging 8.2 mpg going 75mph. We drove 4.5 hours and never averaged above 8.7 mpg's. He says he usually gets 20-21mpg empty. Im not a ford guy and have towed very little with any 1/2 tons since I have always had duallys but 8 mpg is hard to swallow. Is that normal for 1/2 tons to drop that much in mileage with that little weight behind them?

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,684 Posts
Enclosed trailer ? or flat bed trailer type ??

I would guess enclosed if it hurt it that much....

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
2011 5.0 here. Gets 15 city and 21-22 highway. Towing my 24' enclosed Hallmark with 3000 car, 4 wheeler and tools I get 9.5 to 10 in the Pennsylvania hills. Hauling my car on a 16' open I was able to do 15 but not alot of hills on that tow, but it was about a 160 mile round trip.

·
Premium Member
21,855 Posts
Friend and I took his 2016 f150 5.0 4x4 to the deer lease last week and pulled a 18ft car hauler with a older kawasaki mule (1,000lbs maybe) on it. On the way back it was windy and I just happened to look over and saw on the cluster we were averaging 8.2 mpg going 75mph. We drove 4.5 hours and never averaged above 8.7 mpg's. He says he usually gets 20-21mpg empty. Im not a ford guy and have towed very little with any 1/2 tons since I have always had duallys but 8 mpg is hard to swallow. Is that normal for 1/2 tons to drop that much in mileage with that little weight behind them?
To get accurate data you must reset your mileage. Also check how much it takes to fill up vs miles driven.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Towed a trailer to my lease last year that had two wheelers and a golf cart on it, 9mpg @ 70mph. I took the eco boost cause my 6.0 doesn't do much better lol went to Iowa this past nov with no trailer and it got 19.5mpg what a swing lol

·
Banned
17,411 Posts
That shit sure has a-lot of THC!:eek:
Has your friend tried Michelin tires? I read on here they will improve gas milage by 2-3 MPG.. and last 140,000 miles towing at maximum weight. I hope this helps.

·
I feared for my life!!!
14,663 Posts
Has your friend tried Michelin tires? I read on here they will improve gas milage by 2-3 MPG.. and last 140,000 miles towing at maximum weight. I hope this helps.
3.7 EcoBoost + Michelin LTX tires w/nitrogen = 30 mpg @ 75 mph pulling #30K

No wonder the F150 sells so well... :rolleyes:

The Power Joke must easily double those figures since it's twice the truck!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We didnt hand calculate it but everytime we stopped for fuel just doing the math roughly it was obvious we were getting less than 10mpg. The trailer was an open 18ft car hauler, not an enclosed. Its a 5.0 v8 not an eco boost.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.