Yellow Bullet Forums banner

2013 Shelby GT500 X275/8.5 Build

135K views 703 replies 195 participants last post by  jason07 
#1 · (Edited)
Well gentlemen just to start off right I will introduce myself, name is Dustin, I am active duty military and stay deployed more than I stay at home, so as crazy as this build is I figure you only live once might as well enjoy it. So what have I done? I have basically torn apart a brand new car with 4k miles on it to build a x275 car. Changing induction system from the standard TVS setup to a variation of a precision 88mm pro mod turbo with all the supporting mods. The longblock is currently being built as we speak and the chassis is going to the shop to get the 25.5 cage tomorrow. I really just want to get out and do some racing meet some people and have fun, I know entering into the game it is going to be extremely dificult to be competitive but I am here to learn and hopefully in the future pass on some information that may be helpful to others. So the plan is to continually update the thread with pics as I go so I don't get too far behind. There may be a bit of a lull when I head out, but I will be sure to catch up....so

Just a general idea of the build:

2013 Shelby GT500

Engine Build(MMR): 5.8L Alluminum Block 3.7" Bore Sleeved
Billit Bryant Racing Crank
Carrillo Straight H Carr Bolts
MMR 2500R Pistons 9310 .180 pin upgrade
Total Seal File Fit Rings
Clevite Race Bearing Chamfered
Ford GT 4V Heads
MMR Stage 3 Custom Cams
MMR Stage 3 Port Job
OEM Valves(Better than Stainless Actually)
Manley Springs with Titanium Retainers
Intake(Talking to some great candidates ;))

88mm Pro-Mod Turbo
PT-3000 Intercooler
BS3, MSD Crank Trigger, Distributor(Cam Driven), 7531 Box, Davis Technologies Trac/Bump Box, Pwr Grid, AMS 500/1000 Boost Controller

Transmission: Powerglide with Bolt Up Converter
Rear-End: Ford 9" Spool
Suspension, Front/Rear Coilovers, Wishbone, AntiRoll, Upper/Lowers
Chassis: 25.5, Full Chassis, Stock Suspension(Variations) Full Interior(Almost) Power Everything

So Its all pretty well out there...that is the tentative plan right now.

Now for picture right?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
#9 ·
Um, wow!

#10 ·
Should be fun! and I was feeling bad about gutting my 2012 base gt. Any plans for weight reduction, these cars are big fat pigs? Looks like you are trying to keep the accessories and look stock inside but the weight has to hurt. I'll be giving 8.5's a whirl in my car this year so I'll definitely be keeping up on how you do with them.

#11 ·
Should be fun! and I was feeling bad about gutting my 2012 base gt. Any plans for weight reduction, these cars are big fat pigs? Looks like you are trying to keep the accessories and look stock inside but the weight has to hurt. I'll be giving 8.5's a whirl in my car this year so I'll definitely be keeping up on how you do with them.
Most definatley, for the most part the usual, K-member, A-arms, brakes, race seats, ac delete, back seat delete, just the standard stuff, it was down to 3600# with just a front brake and tire/wheel change, I believe if we get creative we can do 3200# maybe a little better. Depends on class rules, I don't think the mod motors get the weight break anymore.

#13 ·
If I only had a brain I guess. I enjoy it and thats all that matters, this was honeslty never the original plan, thought I would be happy with 700rwhp and a 10.21 @ 140 car, but like I said you only live once and you never know when your time card is going to get punched so I say Fuck it!!!!!

#17 ·
Its still going to be a nice car dont understand why people think its going to get hacked up and mutilated. This isnt a 88 foxbody car that has already been through 6 owners all with their different idea what their car should be. I will still street drive this car and believe me it gets plenty of attention anf the good kind.

#19 ·
Nice..

I cant say anything... the car im building is more rare than this one... a 1 of 9 Saleen.

But i wasnt the one who cut it up originally.

#28 ·
Yea. Its a 1996 Saleen S351R Supercharged.... built 20. 9 coupes 11 convertibles.

Originally built by Wren Vanderpool and campaigned in NMRA SSO back in 00-01.

Car would take too much to put bck original... so it will stay a race car.

Hope your progress is quick. Good luck.

#22 ·
If you can afford it, then it is a good idea, nothing wrecked, nothing ruined, its your heard earned money and it should be spent making YOU happy, not the rest of the world. Good luck with the project, anyone who has worked on a such a low milage car will know how sweet it is to work on something so clean and spotless, so much nicer than an old car. Good luck with the build!

6BOOST

#25 ·
Damn, gotta ask, why not just get a body in white to build a racecar from???

#31 ·
Probably didn't want to track down all the misc parts that you need for a BIW.

#30 ·
F*^k all the haters and the negativity...I think its badass! I have the same outlook on life myself, tomorrow isn't promised! Can't wait to see it finished!

#32 ·
Thanks for your service! Killer build, and let the haters hate, 'cause fords grow on trees, anyways:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.