Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Im a chevy guy, but thats still awesome. Its great to see these companies bringing these cars back, production race cars that are FAST. In todays market with gas prices, the hybrid/electic cars being the future who would have thought chevy and ford would be producing 9 and 8 sec cars from the factory.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Thats an awesome deal for sure. Is this done in a "side building" off the main factory or something? The "production line" type engine hangers definitely make it apparent its at some sort of Ford plant...?? How do you get a job building them? Who does the cage work? Sorry for the questions...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Thats an awesome deal for sure. Is this done in a "side building" off the main factory or something? The "production line" type engine hangers definitely make it apparent its at some sort of Ford plant...?? How do you get a job building them? Who does the cage work? Sorry for the questions...
x2 please !

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Two pillar bars on each side? That's the silly looking thing I've ever seen......and on a beautiful car, what are the thinking?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kyle - I believe the Cobra Jets are built on a small "prototype" assembly line at the Flat Rock MI plant, they use the protype line to work out assembly processes for the main assembly line. I was lucky enough to tour the plant at one time as the company I work for supplies some parts for the new Mustangs, the day I toured the plant they were building Shelby's on the prototype line. Made me cringe when the Ford Engineer who was showing us around told us most of the Shelby's we were looking at would be destroyed after they were done testing them. :(

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Two pillar bars on each side? That's the silly looking thing I've ever seen......and on a beautiful car, what are the thinking?
I'm curious too. Would have to ask the engineering staff. Might be a combination of impact/crush zone integrity and lawyers.
I would bet a large chunk of the price is because of attorneys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cobra Jet body-in-white is assembled on the main Mustang line. Its then shipped to Watson Engineering in Taylor Michigan for the cage install an other racecar related mods (hood pins, trans access tunnel, Recaro seat brackets, etc. Body is then shipped back to the mustang plant paint line for primer and paint.

After the cars are painted the bodies go to the prototype build line. This line is set-up to train main Mustang line workers on new model assembly and build station process. The folks that work on the prototype line have years of experience and seniority over other workers on the main line. I've been to the 2010,2012 and 2013 Cobra Jet builds and these UAW workers do a great job on these cars. Its a combnation of engineering the parts, setting up the build process and then building the cars that makes this program so successful.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I'm curious too. Would have to ask the engineering staff. Might be a combination of impact/crush zone integrity and lawyers.
this... for a while there NHRA was getting down on how some of these race cars are built [in the private sector] with bars bent around dash or radical bends. they will crush if landing on roof. so i guess even though a race car. ford wants a little legal protection.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Lawyers.....those wonder, wonder lawyers, how could I forgot.....these are "factory made race cars".

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can anyone really trust guys to build a race car that need to label a pallet jack in order to know what it is? :rolleyes:
Welcome to new age manufacturing. Everything is labeled clearly no mater how simple. Floors are marked to indicate where everything is to be placed in the most effiecent location for workers.

Rocknrolla had it spot on with his answers.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Is it up to the end user to install an engine diaper or does it come with one?
dam you want eveything for a 100k.......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts