Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just bought a 2011 duramx,, has about 3000 miles on

it, It started making a kinda clicking noise, and is erratic, as it

seems to be more when it has some heat in it, i have narrowed it

down to the converter, flexplate area, not sure if it has a cracked

flexplate or what, my question is has any one had a similar noise

in a 2011, or even an older model with this typed of noise??

thanks for any info,

Ron

·
Registered
602 Posts
If it was an older unit, I would look at the flywheel... those trucks should have a dual mass flywheel. DMF failure is something that happens with mileage.. I had to replace the DMF on my 2006 VW Jetta with diesel engine at 67k miles.. 7k out of warranty of course

·
Smoked another CTD
3,956 Posts
Dual mass flywheels where only in manual transmission trucks. They where only produced from 2001 to 2006. They are very rare. I own one.

Flexplates do fail. But they usually make a huge racket. Sounds as if a rod is about to come out.

I would check the exhaust down pipe that comes off the turbo. It has a a tab on the bottom end where it bolts to the manifold. If you remove the passenger side inner fender you should be able to see it. Look where the V-band clamp joins the downpipe to the front pipe. The tab should be right above it. If the tab is broken it will let the downpipe move around making noises like you describe.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i check the exhaust, it isn't that, it was leaking fuel in re-gen mode, but i tightened it and it quit, but this noise started after the first oil change

and is more noticable on the driver side.......... read on dieselplace.com it may be what they refer to as typewriter click,,..... sounds common on

them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts