Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers 11' duramax trucks a weird piece of something,

Well kinda, When he got it it went 6400 miles before needing the DEF fluid, filled it and now it only went 2100 miles and said on the dash unit 1000 miles till def runs out..... now he got a bulletin in the mail
right before the first time we filled it, it said it need to be reflashed for def usage...so he took it in and had that done, then 500 miles later we filled it up....(first Time)...... also first time it took 4.1 gal to fill it.

Now this time we fill it and it only took 2.2 gallons and it said it only had 1000 miles to go....WTF...........

Other thing he noticed after it was re-flashed was it used less fuel in re-gen mode and also when going up a descent hill and start to give her some throttle it will hesitate alittle then go......Dealer told him that is normal, BUT the truck NEVER did it before the re-flash.......

Anyone else have this happen or any Idea's...... he's really pissed
and sick of the truck already.....

Any HELP is greatly APPRECIATED

Ron
RCM

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Have a friend that had an '11 DM that had all sorts of DEF problems. Before GM came out with some of their "fixes", I would have to reset his DEF parameters with my Tech 2 just to kick the can down the road. I own an independent auto repair shop and he is my snow plow guy. Last I knew, the latest "fix" after the reflash was to do some sort of manual relearn of the DEF level by draining the tank and putting in a specified level and doing a recal or program. At any rate, I don't believe ANYTHING that the dealer did fixed the problem. He ended up trading for '12 DM. Without a doubt, your brother needs to be persistent, as the "fix" is going to have to come from GM. In a pinch, the dealer can at least do the parameter reset until they can contact someone from GM tech support to see what to do next, so his truck won't go into reduced power mode. Usually the DEF problems occur only in the winter on DM's.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a friend that had an '11 DM that had all sorts of DEF problems. Before GM came out with some of their "fixes", I would have to reset his DEF parameters with my Tech 2 just to kick the can down the road. I own an independent auto repair shop and he is my snow plow guy. Last I knew, the latest "fix" after the reflash was to do some sort of manual relearn of the DEF level by draining the tank and putting in a specified level and doing a recal or program. At any rate, I don't believe ANYTHING that the dealer did fixed the problem. He ended up trading for '12 DM. Without a doubt, your brother needs to be persistent, as the "fix" is going to have to come from GM. In a pinch, the dealer can at least do the parameter reset until they can contact someone from GM tech support to see what to do next, so his truck won't go into reduced power mode. Usually the DEF problems occur only in the winter on DM's.
This won't make him feel anybetter, he is anal when it comes to his vehicles and this is just pissing him off.......$55,000 truck and problems already.......and a whole 8400 miles on it........If you ask me, they put too much bullshit on these vehicles ............80% of it is not needed....................

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yep, it's not good. The '12s still have the DEF system, but the '13's are rumored to be doing away with it. Beware if this is true, because that will make the 11's and 12's blacksheep..

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The initial flash for some reason is usually the one to go with.....everything after that just makes it worse.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What did you do to delete it?
we don't have emissions, also he don't want to void the warranty????

H&S Programmer and then it is straight piped from the down pipe back. He could use a muffler if he so desires. It picked my fuel mileage up around 5 mpg unloaded. It probably will void the warranty though, but that will be up to his dealer. These trucks have counters in the PCM to tell if they have been flashed or not, so its not as easy as just taking the programmer off the truck.

To tell you the honest truth, I wish I would have kept my 2006 LBZ Duramax.

Zach

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I talked to my buddy that had the 2011. Before he traded it, not only was the DEF indication system still screwed-up, but the indicator for a regen problem was on on the dash and it kept setting a tank pressure sensor code, presumably for the DEF. Somebody is going to get a lemon when they buy that turd!

BTW, he has over 5000 miles on his 2012, and so far so good.

Don't get caught messing with the emissions! And FYI, the real savvy programers have already implemented work-arounds on the counters put in by GM LOL!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to my buddy that had the 2011. Before he traded it, not only was the DEF indication system still screwed-up, but the indicator for a regen problem was on on the dash and it kept setting a tank pressure sensor code, presumably for the DEF. Somebody is going to get a lemon when they buy that turd!

BTW, he has over 5000 miles on his 2012, and so far so good.

Don't get caught messing with the emissions! And FYI, the real savvy programers have already implemented work-arounds on the counters put in by GM LOL!
gosh, if i tell him any of this he will get rid of it,.....lol

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a 2012 and have no problems. Just add the DEF like any other maintenance item and move on. Its needed about every 5000 miles.
There is NO WAY deleting it is going to give you an increase in mileage of 5mpg. NONE.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 2012 and have no problems. Just add the DEF like any other maintenance item and move on. Its needed about every 5000 miles.
There is NO WAY deleting it is going to give you an increase in mileage of 5mpg. NONE.

To each his own. You keep running the DEF and I will keep getting better fuel mileage:) It is deleted, plus a tune. My truck got around 13mpg with 33s on it for about 3k miles right after I bought it. Deleted and tuned it gets 17.5 around the house and around 21 on a trip with the wheels and tires on it unloaded.

Zach

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I knew that stuff was going to be a nightmare when it first came out. It's to burn cleaner, but you're using more fuel in the process not to mention the plastic jugs the DEF comes in.. lol Kind of a wash..

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the def reduces the amount of fuel used during the regen process. The environmentalists won't be happy until diesels shoot sunshine and rainbows out of the tailpipes lol.

Diesel exhaust fluid seems so odd, surely muffler bearings are just around the corner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts