Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
says effective 2012.. and that's how I read it also..no original floor means 2 driveshaft loops

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the only thing that has me wondering is it doesn't say supergas directly only supercomp so thats whyI was wondering. Thats gonna make alot of racers put out alot of cash to convert.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Beginning Jan. 1, 2012 all full-bodied vehicles, where the OEM floor has been
removed, each end of driveshaft must have round 360-degree driveshaft loops
within 6 inches of U-joints. Additionally, driveshaft must be covered by 360-
degree tube, covering the front U-joint and extending rearward a minimum 12
inches.
Minimum thickness of tube is .050-inch chromoly or titanium. Driveshaft
tube must utilize a minimum of four attachment points to the chassis, either
bolted with minimum 5/16 SAE bolts or welded or 1/4-inch push/pull pins. See
General Regulations 2:4.
I can handle the 2 loops but whats up with the tube?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
There was a racer @ the end of the 2010 season that had the 2 required driveshaft loops who had the driveshaft come apart tear up the floor or the car and then proceeded to wrap her arm around the driveshaft. Broke her arm in several places and she lucky it didn't get torn off. That is where the rule is coming from.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Always made me wonder what we were all thinkin sittin next to a steel tube spinnin at 8000+rpm with a thin piece of aluminum between it and our bodies. I have a full tube from the trans to the 4 link mounts. Better safe than hurt or killed. Cars now days hook better and make more power than when these old rules were written,so an upgrade was needed. Oh yeah the driver was Barbra Nesbitt look it up , she got hurt really bad from the driveshaft gettin into the car. ///J.T.///

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I am building my car now and was debating to put one in but after this rule change I am thinking it to be easier now doing it then to wait for the rule to change for the classes that aren't listed yet. And I did read that story about Barbra's tragic mishap and i feel thats enough for me to put one in now...............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts