Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just picked up a 2010 Silverado as a second work vehicle. Its got the 5.3 and has 160k on it. The truck has a miss at low rpm and rough idle.

My question is what is a good scanner that is affordable....definitely don't want just a code reader, I want to be able to read live data etc.

I got an OBD link EX that works with a laptop for my Ford pickup (does not support GM vehicles) and am really happy with that tools capability so if a similar product is that is capable of working with GM exists I would not mind going that route compared to a stand alone scanner.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Check #7 plug .I had to change #7 plug at every oil change after 80,000 miles and also ran 10w40 oil in it and had a happy life till i sold it with 160,000

·
Registered
40,880 Posts
Hello all, just picked up a 2010 Silverado as a second work vehicle. Its got the 5.3 and has 160k on it. The truck has a miss at low rpm and rough idle.

My question is what is a good scanner that is affordable....definitely don't want just a code reader, I want to be able to read live data etc.

I got an OBD link EX that works with a laptop for my Ford pickup (does not support GM vehicles) and am really happy with that tools capability so if a similar product is that is capable of working with GM exists I would not mind going that route compared to a stand alone scanner.

Thanks in advance,
CReader129, about $250, is a damn good scanner for the money and highly recommended. Don't expect it to do what one of those bi-directional 4-figure scanners will do...you can't program the vehicle with it - but it does airbags, abs, TPMS, live data, etc.

Dunno what's wrong with your truck. Could be anything from a burnt valve to a funky coil. That scanner I recommended will tell ya... :)

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rev and Vonzipper & P10,
I just picked up the truck today from a guy I eat breakfast with.
He had a guy "supposedly" rebuild the engine about 2 months ago and he showed up to breakfast Monday driving a Ram 1500 with a Hemi. He said the engine went bad on his truck and the guy who rebuilt it moved to NC so he was shit out of luck.
He said the dealer only offered him 2500 for his old truck and I told him I would give him 3 grand figuring I would be putting a used engine in it....I asked him if I had to get it towed IE was it was locked up or just knocking bad and he told me it ran fine with the gas on but shook at idle.....So I have no idea why he assumed it needed and engine.

Hopefully after work tomorrow I will have time to take a quick look at it and pull a few coil feed wires to find out what cylinder/cylinders are causing the problem.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If it was rebuilt you may luck out and find something simple like FFB said.Good score if it is ,could probably get 6000 on a trade in with it running right if you wanted to.

·
Registered
120 Posts
check the data logs and see what it’s measuring for ethanol content is. on my 2010 it was reading almost 30% and i don’t use fuel with ethanol in it. they used a “virtual sensor” and they get caught in a loop and don’t reset. any dealer can rest it in about 2 minutes and they have an update for the computer that’s suppose to help.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CReader129, about $250, is a damn good scanner for the money and highly recommended. Don't expect it to do what one of those bi-directional 4-figure scanners will do...you can't program the vehicle with it - but it does airbags, abs, TPMS, live data, etc.

Dunno what's wrong with your truck. Could be anything from a burnt valve to a funky coil. That scanner I recommended will tell ya... :)
Thanks, got the 129x on the way from scamazon, nice thing is it should be hear by dinner time so I should get a chance to look at it tonight.

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
Some of the auto parts stores will do a free scan if you find someone competent, lol-they dont have a lot of EGR problems, but they will cause a rough idle and miss as you know.
Best thing you can do on those is install an oil sep. bet the PVC valve and vac source.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts