Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are working on a 2010 camaro rear diff. We replaced the gears at request to owner with richmond 4:10 to replace the 3:42 stock gear. They blew at the line. Car had made dyno runs @700hp before track day. No issues. no we are tring ligenfelter 3:70 gears. My issue now is it took alot of pressure several several tons to get the pinion bearing over the shaft of the 3:70 pinion..(outside bearing) in the press. I now have found I need to remove it to change pinion depth shim. I am concerned as this is WAYYYY to much pressure on bearing and may cause damage..Note stock pinion and new pinion made by the same company and measure in all ways same within .0001. Down side I tossed the stock bearing out after removed for the first gear set. I dont have it to check inside dia. any insight here please!!!!Thanks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Are you saying you measured the pinion stem, and it, say measured 1.9800 od and the id bearing measured 1.9799 and it needed TONS of psi ?

When you say they blew at the line, what blew at the line, what broke and how? a tooth on the ring, or pin, or was it something else ? does it look like the carrier deflected ? or does it look like it loaded and unloaded ?
Did the car have the bolt on pinion support bolted to the case and attached to frame or is it still using the factory bushings to hold it in? ? ?

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No all the gears(teeth) broke off ring gear and pinion at first launch. Its a stick car. Almost all of them gone. Deflection from case I suspect?? But the pinion bearing no the difference was around .020 between the bearing and the stem. It was 12 tons psi to be exact. I asked customer to send the unit to RPM he decided to have a local guy play with it and finsih it. Its back in the car now and we are going to test again this week. I wanted to upgrade this unit to a more robust set-up like a 9" from driveshaft shop. But that was not an option at this point. The case in these new camaros is a weak link for sure. I will give a update on this deal after testing...Thanks

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we added a little preload to the side bearings. Richmond told me to go with .007 to each side. We tried that it would not turn. So we only added .003 to each side. No wheel hop either just kabooom!! Its the case I am almost sure. And as far as the pinion bearings thats wayy to tight... I did not finish the rear another guy did so we will see.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yeah that pin bearing woulda been a mutha if you had to take it off... I have seen the 1st gen getr cases in the caddies have issue with breaking the case and mounts.

I am gonna try and use a D-44a viper in a caddy if the kid ever gets it to me and use half shafts rather than the drive axles..

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yeah that pin bearing woulda been a mutha if you had to take it off... I have seen the 1st gen getr cases in the caddies have issue with breaking the case and mounts.

I am gonna try and use a D-44a viper in a caddy if the kid ever gets it to me and use half shafts rather than the drive axles..
That sounds interesting let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I gotta wait on the customer... I'll let you know though, if i get him i'll put up pics

I know the d-44 is very strong, just the matter of getting it bolted in and half shafts for axles...

The real big problem is if he lets me do it... he already asked me about the 9" kit.
We'll see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts