Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market to get a new truck. Now I am a Chevy Man at heart, but as long as its American I am fine with it.

Im torn between these two trucks....I love the Duramax w/Allison 6 speed, but here F250's trans can handle more power...So just looking for pros and cons for each...MPG, Recalls/problems etc....

·
Registered
48 Posts
You better research the 6.4 before you buy. I have not talked to one customer who has one who brags about it. Duramax would be my choice. The Allison will handle everything you got for it in stock form.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i drove a 6.4 for work, f-450 it towed well, but fuel economy sucked, i was beating the shit out of it with a 24,000lb reel trailer behind it. THat being said, i didnt trust it, tranny always did feel good, but the motor was gutless and had to rev the shit out of it, out of those 2 id have the chebby. but my own personal truck and belief is dodge with a cummins, the chassis have come SO FAR in the past 7 years or so. i love mine. and i in general HATE anything dodge.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Duramax!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Between those two trucks... Duramax. The Ford is a better truck, but the engine sucks. Do some searching and find a gently used 7.3, they are out there and worth the search.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wouldnt mind the older model 7.9, 5.9 Cummins or 6.5 but gotta finance some of the purchase and theres restrictions for years/ miles etc...
I guess I wouldlnt mind A Dodge, Are the 6.7 Cummins powertrains any better? Isnt Allison doin the trans now as well?

I have seen alot of the horror stories for the 6.0 Ford engines, none yet really with the 6.4?

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Id stick with the GM. Nothing wrong with a duramax, Horror stories with fords, not to mention removing cab to service heads etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the 08 Ford f250 diesel. I love it. I pull a 30 ft trailer and i cannot complain about it. 3 others buddies bought their 250s soon after i did and they love them also. I cant complain about any of it.
I currently have 98,000 on it and no problems.
Youll just have to judge for yourself and not by what others say especially if they dont own either of them. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id stick with the GM. Nothing wrong with a duramax, Horror stories with fords, not to mention removing cab to service heads etc.
Think I heard about this last night while at the Tire shop. Is this a head gasket issue they have had? A mechanic at the tire shop said a guy brought his in to change a gasket and they had to pull up the floor to repair it...said the costs were astronomical...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would look for a low mile 2006 duramax. Huge power compared to ky 2008 I have now. Plus my 08 gets horrible mileage compared toy 06.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Any of the new deisels with emissions suck on fuel milage . Got a 08 450 utilty body with 430 gears load with 1700 lb welder and tools for steel erection and it averages 8.6 in winter and 9.4 in the summer and never changes when towing. Dpf delete is worth some fuel milage but mine is still under warranty

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Well now I am curious to this situation...I am looking at an 06 Ford F350 cc/dually 4 wd auto w/ the 6.0. I have not requested the report on it yet. It has 32k on the odo and I can get it for around 29k...should I be leary??? It will be a tower only. No daily other than during hunting season.

·
ALL MOTOR BITCHES !
2,456 Posts
I had a 08 F350 dually ...it got 19 mpg by itself and 9 mpg pulling 28,000 lbs. gross @ 65 mph. never had a problem with it, and it had 84,000 on it when I sold it ( I went back to a F150 pickup)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
The only 6.4 I've liked are the one's with DPF delete.. We took a brand new 08 to Huntsville from Chicago a couple years ago, and it got 7.9mpg towing a 24' enclosed with a car and a 4 wheeler.
DPF delete and tune, I just talked to a guy today who get's 16-20 around town, and 20+ on the highway.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I guess I wouldlnt mind A Dodge, Are the 6.7 Cummins powertrains any better? Isnt Allison doin the trans now as well?
The 6sp auto in the Dodge is way stronger then the Allison 1000 that GM use's.As a matter of fact it has the highest weight rating of any auto available in a pickup truck.
I had a 2008 6.7 auto and it would loaf down the road at 1500 rpm's at 33,000 lb gross.I knew it was stout so I didn't bother with the 4.10 gear I ordered it with 3.73's.

I hauled 90 square of 30 yr dimensional shingle on my trailer and it was effortless.It did suck down some fuel though.

Only a fool would buy a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford diesel.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts