Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving home yesterday i was doing about 75 on the freeway when i noticed my abs light came on, i figured id check it out before work but within 10 miles my bearings blew out and my wheel was only on by the caliper mount around the rotor. I fixed it last night with a new hub assembly but how many miles is typical for these to go? id like to change it before it blows out with no warning like this.

p.s. why the fuck would you not put serviceable wheel bearings on the 2wd model? i can't believe you can't grease or adjust the wheel bearing preload. basically a little wear and it bangs around and blows out?

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I can almost guarantee it's been screaming for mercy for a while
x2

I never seen one just up and quit without warning. Get rid of those knobby tires or turn the radio down, you'll hear the warning signs next time.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
x2

I never seen one just up and quit without warning. Get rid of those knobby tires or turn the radio down, you'll hear the warning signs next time.
made zero noise, this isn't my first rodeo, my 04 silverado made a light squeal and i replaced em, my sierra just went out exactly as i stated. and i listen 99% to the joe rogan podcast, I'm not into loud music so i would've known. i just passed 180K miles but idk if their originals i bought the truck with 60K on it and their stamped TIMKEN, also no knobby tires, just a small drop and 22in wheels. but i drive my sierra like a grandma

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm sure the 22's didn't help the wheel bearings. I'm finding big wheels and shitty roads are not being kind to front end components. You can grease the hubs, pull out the wheel speed sensor and pump some bearing grease into the hole.

·
Previously Banned
10,235 Posts
TIMKEN was the OEM manufacturer of them. At 185k the alignment shop said they needed replaced to hold an alignment, but i found no TIMKEN stamped on them so no telling if they were OEM. I replaced them with TIMKEN however.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I'm sure the 22's didn't help the wheel bearings. I'm finding big wheels and shitty roads are not being kind to front end components.
Big wheels and/or tires never were kind to bearings. I learned that back in the late 70'-early 80's when I off-road raced Jeep CJ's.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,142 Posts
Big wheels and/or tires never were kind to bearings. I learned that back in the late 70'-early 80's when I off-road raced Jeep CJ's.
The harmonics eats up gearboxes too.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure the 22's didn't help the wheel bearings. I'm finding big wheels and shitty roads are not being kind to front end components. You can grease the hubs, pull out the wheel speed sensor and pump some bearing grease into the hole.
Thank you, i was looking at my parts and that thought crossed my mind, the wheel bearings aren't sealed correct? so if i pull the sensor and add grease it'll penetrate and won't disrupt the sensor function.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Just did them in a toyota @ 130k

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
They're sealed

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
x3, they always make a rumbling sound and can usually feel it in the wheel.

NEGATIVE, no noise. no precursor at all.

They're sealed
so even if you pull the sensor and add grease the bearings are sealed internally? i.e two rubber seals per bearing

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thank you. my old hub was too trashed to tell what the internals looked like, but i assumed that since the sensor seems like it would be affected if grease got between it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
75-100,000, never seen one go without some roaring/growling noise first though.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you are considering adding grease to a sealed bearing instead of replacing?
no, as a preventative thing. were talking keeping grease in good bearings, not adding to bad ones.and I've always had em growl beforehand but this one just went out with no advance

1 - 20 of 39 Posts