Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those cars were built in my hometown, the Monaro (as it was called in Australia) was really just a 2 door body on the VE Holden Commodore chassis. The design staff at the plant actually did all the pre production work on the design in their own time because GM weren't interested in the 2 door concept. The public reaction to the concept Monaro changed GM's mind.
The LHD version was shipped to America as the Pontiac GTO.
The cars issues were mainly related to the fact it was based off a production 4 door car.

·
Banksters Paradise
9,137 Posts
GTO are VT, VX, VY, VZ Holden chassis, and have the improvements that the Holden's got from VY model onwards, which seem like not much at a glance, but the handling of VY onwards is much better than previous models.

·
Meh Commander
13,865 Posts
Being a extremely heavy GTO fan I couldn’t of been more disappointed when they offered that thing badged as a GTO ... that was the final insult to Pontiac people by GM
But on the other hand at least it’s a two door ... pretty fuckin sad what we’re reduced to.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Being a extremely heavy GTO fan I couldn’t of been more disappointed when they offered that thing badged as a GTO ... that was the final insult to Pontiac people by GM
But on the other hand at least it’s a two door ... pretty fuckin sad what we’re reduced to.
Hell, the GTO got off easy. Look what they call a Camaro these days. Even worse example: the 1984 Nova. :LOL:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry have to disagree with that starement. I've driven a 4th gen Camaro and the GTO runs circles around it. Maybe the appearance may be bland but that what drew me to the car. Owned mine for 5 yrs and only 1 ticket. I say that's a win! Also the car was bulletproof. Never let me down ever.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One of the best cars I owned. Sold it due to parts availability in the future, with Holden going out of business. Drove it 10yrs with only brakes, tires, battery, coolant, brake flush, oil changes and rear axle bearings. Sold car with 80,000 miles 3yrs ago, no squeaks, rattles or fitment of interior or exterior components. Excellent car for long trips.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
G8?

·
Aviation Section
26,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I like the G8 because I am Part Of The Tribe and love Pontiacs! It is just one or two generations behind the SS. Dave

·
Super Moderator
47,789 Posts
Those cars got a raw deal when they first came out. They hit the lot right as gas was going up.We had 6 o the lot and they sat for a while.
I think the biggest problem those GTOs faced as far as sales numbers were concerned was,.......GM had just halted production of their rear wheel drive, two door, LS powered vehicles, the Firebird Trans Am and Camaro Z28 and SS, ...for lack of sales. So, what did they do? Lets offer another rear wheel drive, 2 door, LS powered vehicle that's heavier, and way less capable on a road course handling wise, bloated looking, and much less cosmetically appealing,......and lets see how that sells.

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
I agree!!! Four door Chargers? Import cars wearing the GTO name? The manufacturers should have let those names go in the 70s. Mustang IIs? Ever see a late 70s Roadrunner? Lol

·
Meh Commander
13,865 Posts
Sorry have to disagree with that starement. I've driven a 4th gen Camaro and the GTO runs circles around it. Maybe the appearance may be bland but that what drew me to the car. Owned mine for 5 yrs and only 1 ticket. I say that's a win! Also the car was bulletproof. Never let me down ever.
Yeah well you sound like a function first guy
Im the opposite ... it needs to look good first
To me they looked like they came out of a Japanese design studio
Now if they’d of done a retro style say 69 or 70 GTO based design they’d of had the hottest thing ever .... but no GM would never let Pontiac have such a successful thing that upstages their precious Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I am bidding on a 2006 Pontiac GTO, LS2, 6 speed, 18" wheels with 18K original miles. Car is on Ebay and I already have made two
offers, both were declined. They are asking $31K and it is in Hickory N.C.

I have never even sat in one of these. They imported them for only 3 years and rebadged them as Pontiac GTO cars, the last being the 2006 model.
Only two options were available, the 6 speed and the 18" wheels, this car has both.

Let me know what everyone here knows about these cars, pro or con.

Thanks in advance. Dave
I have a 06 6.0 6 speed manual with 37K on it I'll sell you for 15K...its an R-title I repaired thats really nice...interior is like new...all stock except Eibach springs...drilled and slotted rotors...spice red...tinted windows

·
Aviation Section
26,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I have a 06 6.0 6 speed manual with 37K on it I'll sell you for 15K...its an R-title I repaired thats really nice...interior is like new...all stock except Eibach springs...drilled and slotted rotors...spice red...tinted windows
Sounds great except the the rebuilt title, on a uni-body that is a little scary to me. I see you are in Pa., that puts you on the same side of the Country as me. Can you PM me and I will send you my email for some pictures, we will see. Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
The problem with these cars is parts availability; a pair of headlights and front bumper cover will total one (might even be down to one headlight and a cover now) from an insurance standpoint, doesn’t even have to be structural...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
For 22.5k I can think of a lot of cars I would rather have than an 04-06 goat. Had a buddy with an 04 ls1 4l60 and then a fbo ls3 head t56 06. Nothing special about these cars , and nothing visually appealing about them, IMO. I’m a Ford guy , I like going fast and I like going fast without a lot of effort. Which these cars aren’t great at. They are fairly quick when ported heads, cams etc are done like any ls2. Still nothing spectacular compared to new stuff. If someone gave me 22.5k for a 2dr rwd V8 car, I would be looking at a low mileage 6r80 s197 car hands down, likely attainable for high teens. Then do a convertor, headers , cobra jet mani, e85 tune and minor suspension work and you have a car that will click off a high 10 all day with the ac blowing without ever having to pull a valve cover. And not look like a bloated cavalier Lol.

·
Former RJ instigator
43,107 Posts
The problem with these cars is parts availability; a pair of headlights and front bumper cover will total one (might even be down to one headlight and a cover now) from an insurance standpoint, doesn’t even have to be structural...
Damn, that's saying a lot right there.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
was looking a one a few yrs back about 5 now I want to say, it was cheap cause no front clip. Guy made it a race car and had a fiberglass front clip on it. I was gonna get it as it was a t56 car but it had no drive train either but that did not bother me. Problem was he had sold the original front clip, and was keeping the one piece fiberglass one for a tube chassis car he was building to replace the roller he was selling. I searched every where for a front clip before buying it and only part I coulds find was a drivers head light and a aftermarket front bumper cover and both front fenders. Would have been enough for a race only car but I wanted a street strip deal. It was a 04 with some after market axles and suspension parts. So the parts availability is a real concern.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts