Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
I am bidding on a 2006 Pontiac GTO, LS2, 6 speed, 18" wheels with 18K original miles. Car is on Ebay and I already have made two
offers, both were declined. They are asking $31K and it is in Hickory N.C.

I have never even sat in one of these. They imported them for only 3 years and rebadged them as Pontiac GTO cars, the last being the 2006 model.
Only two options were available, the 6 speed and the 18" wheels, this car has both.

Let me know what everyone here knows about these cars, pro or con.

Thanks in advance. Dave
Seems like an awful lot of money for what it is!!

·
Age of Acquiescence
32,073 Posts
I also have an 04 GTO drivetrain in my 2nd gen out of a rolled GTO I bought in 05. Like I said, great drivetrainz.

Personally, unless you juzt gotta have a backseat for the grandkids, I think the C5s blow these away all around.

unfortunately sports car market is gooney goo goo all around right now, esp Vettes.....But I would test drive a few Vettes after a GTO. You wont buy the GTO

on the "pro'" side, like stated only made 3 years from a now defunct legacy GM company. Who knows what kind of goofy collector status these can achieve. My cuz and I also discussed this, and why he decided to keep it

·
Aviation Section
26,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I also have an 04 GTO drivetrain in my 2nd gen out of a rolled GTO I bought in 05. Like I said, great drivetrainz.

Personally, unless you juzt gotta have a backseat for the grandkids, I think the C5s blow these away all around.

unfortunately sports car market is gooney goo goo all around right now, esp Vettes.....But I would test drive a few Vettes after a GTO. You wont buy the GTO
I did that in 1979 but the other way around, test drove a new L-82/4 speed Vette first, nice but then I test drove a new 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am with the 400 Pontiac/ 4 speed (last year they were installed in a car, production actually ceased in 1978 and these were holdovers) and it was better in every way, faster, handled MUCH better, had the back seat and the trunk and with the 400/4 speed (instead of the 403 Olds and auto) and had the collector value going down the road, it stickered at $10,460 which was a lot of money for a Eastern mechanic back then but I just had to have it! Dave

Reactions: Aceshigh

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought an 05 brand new. I had the strut rub issue wipe out a new pair of front tires. Replaced most front suspension and rear springs. The radio is terrible. The car listed should not command a such a high price as it has aftermarket pieces on it like the rear wing.
Transmission temps ran high for me, gas mileage was average. The car is heavy. I took it to the track once stock and noticed my coolant temp was 220 at the staging lights and only pulled a 13.8.
Traded it in for a 2009 C6 with 3LT, much better car. The depricaition for me was drastic so surprised to see this listed so high.

·
Registered
18,143 Posts
Just looked at a few online and holy shit is the price up on those things! Just a personal opinion, they drive or ride kinda funny feeling. To me anyway. They have that old GM G-body ride to them. It feels like you sit up high in them and they feel like they have a high C.O.G.

Just an FYI there's a couple on autotrader (I think that's where I was) with less than 10k for about the same money. 30K ish. Seems really steep to me.
the prices of Australian made cars has gone through the roof ever since all car manufacturing ceased here back in 2016 - there might be some Aussie bidding on it to bring it back here as a Pontiac as they were a Holden Commodore (Monaro) here

·
Registered
18,143 Posts
Pedders been around for a long time. Good stuff.
They are an Australian company, a friend of mine own the leading Pedders dealership here - they are not the best, most stuff is made overseas and branded Pedders, some stuff is made here

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I saw someone mention heavy... They might have been a little heavy in 04 @ almost 3800#s. Not heavy by todays standards. They are hard to fit a tire with out some fender mods. My stitching hasnt had issues, but I clean and condition the leather every 6 months... I have my wheels powder coated bronze now. This car is using Pedders XA coil overs. Those are C5Z wheels, 17x9.5 front 18x10.5 rear... View attachment 255315
I thought that guy with a 93 hatch said you couldn't fit a tire under it? Interior sucked also. Not sure he would know with the exclusivity of a 93 Mustang so...
Nice car btw!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I had an '04. I really liked it, but it was low miles when I bought it, and only had about 30K on it when I traded it off. Look on the LS-1/GTO board, there is a list of everything you will eventually need to replace.

I had mine at RT66 a couple times. The first time I went they called Sportsman and High School to staging for Rd 1. Staging steward was waving me into the High School lanes because he thought I was the kid with the SS Cavalier.

I tried to deal with a dealer on a leftover '06 in '07. They were dead set on getting $31K then. Place went out of business before it sold.

·
Aviation Section
26,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think with all the comments, and thank you for them, I will pass on this car, the people at this Stealership are dead set on the $31K and I am just going to let them go for it, maybe a CTS-V is in my future, who knows, but I am putting the GTO down for now because of price and problems. Dave

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I had read they were $33K new with these two options back in the day, you must have gotten a great deal on yours!
I did get a good deal for sure but so did everyone else buying them at the time. The bland looks of them really hurt the sales as people though they looked too much like a Cavalier. I didn't care because at the time there was nothing from GM that had an LS with RWD and IRS with an added bonus of excellent seats.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
we had a 06 with the 18" wheels, Bought it with 3k miles sold it last year with 65k on it. Nice car the only thing we did was a rad and front brakes. We paid 22k for it and sold it for 16,5. We now have a 16 Chevy SS which is the Holden g8, WAYYYYY better car, Faster , handles better , brakes better. Everything about the SS kicks the gto's ass. I found the 16 SS with 9k miles and paid 39,9 auto with paddle shift and mag ride.
79704079_1481787521970378_1963219775656034304_n.jpg

·
Registered
830 Posts
I almost bought one when they were a couple of years old. I wound up with a CTS-V1 because my son played hockey, and the GTO trunk is useless. Have you driven a GTO? The interior had a couple of strange ergonomics issues to me. Because of the right hand drive origin, it's a long reach to the parking brake. What really bothered me was the steering wheel position. It doesn't go down far enough for me. Even in it lowest position, it's better set up for a fat old lady than a guy with skinny legs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tried to drive one with a stick. Couldn't adjust the seats enough to be comfortable.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think with all the comments, and thank you for them, I will pass on this car, the people at this Stealership are dead set on the $31K and I am just going to let them go for it, maybe a CTS-V is in my future, who knows, but I am putting the GTO down for now because of price and problems. Dave
CTS-V 2 is a great car. I have daily'd a 2009 Sedan for the past 5yrs. 118K miles on it now and just regular maintenance, never a problem. It's not stock and I don't baby it either. 9.55 lower pulley, reinforced brick, Hennessy CAI, B&B exhaust. Runs low 11s @123 on all season tires.

I looked at and test drove a couple 2 door Coupes before I bought the Sedan. Love the way the Coupes look, my only complaint was I couldn't see shit out of the back of them.... of course new Camaro and Challenger have the same problem. I already have a couple of Corvettes and felt the Sedan was just more practical for me to daily with 4 doors.

Prices are climbing on clean examples espc 6spd manuals, but they are still great deals for the performance they offer.
Will

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought a 2004 GTO black/black 6 spd new. The intention was to use it as a weekend cruiser and keep the miles low. Shit that went out the window the first week of ownership! Owned mine for 5 yrs and put on 52K miles. Put over 200 passes at the track, autocrossed it (I sucked!), and took it to Pocono North for some road race action. Finished fourth out of nine cars and only one on street tires. Cooked the hell out of the brakes though.

Only had the SLP catback on it and sounded great! The '04 sounds so much better than the '05-'06 IMHO.

Ran a best if [email protected] at Cecil in November of 2005.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you decide you want to go the CTS-V route I have 2 I might sell to free up some room. The black one is a 2014 Hennessy with the HPE 750 package that according to the 3 Dyno pulls that Hennessy ran puts out a average of 755hp. It has 7,300 miles on it. The 2nd one is a 2015 Phantom Gray with 32k miles, it’s one of 500 built to commemorate the end of production and puts out 558 hp, bone stock, loaded, the 2014 is at a shop next to Vengeance Racing getting a paint correction and quartz coatings.

·
Banned
4,744 Posts
Yeah I think I'd roll with the Caddy if given the choice. I know I'm not supposed to say that but I have a Ford truck too

·
Banksters Paradise
9,137 Posts
Quote: "All in all, I'm glad I did that one mile run. Car itself was a pure gem all day.

At the end of the day I was faster than quite a few Corvettes which surprised me. My car isn't significantly modified, basically a stock long block with typical bolt ons and a good tune."

41 - 60 of 80 Posts