Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving the exploder the other day when I noticed the wipers operating slowly. This was followed by the gauge panel going completely dead. Everything reading zero.

A few miles more and the motor died. I kept it to the floor and it went into some sort of funky limp home mode. The engine was reving to the moon (tach wasn't working) at 60-70 mph...like it was stuck in 3rd gear or something. The engine shut off and on 2 or three more times then the rest of the way home all the gauges came back and the engine ran fine. During the time the engine was acting up not only were the gauges not working, but the odometer screen went blank and was glowing an erie red lol...

I pulled over and the alternator belt is fine.

I have a cheap OBD reader and it read a PO607 code. (Actron CP9125)

Any help would be appreciated. It's my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm thinking might be all of the above. Been driving it around today seems fine. We've had alot of heavy rains lately and the windshields started leaking like a sieve. Its dry out now.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
P0607 is an internal PCM fault

Check the battery . Charge it while unhooked . Then test it after an hour of charging.

Then if it tests OK, hook it up start the POS , if it will start , and check the alternator.

If those check out it could be the PCM

Alldata says it is an internal PCM failure, but the charging system comes into question first.

I would bet your battery is shit.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking might be all of the above. Been driving it around today seems fine. We've had alot of heavy rains lately and the windshields started leaking like a sieve. Its dry out now.
Water running through a PCM could cause a code like that too..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check the cowl to hood seal. If it's intact, coat it with something that repels water.

The PCM is in the cowl and if the seal is dirty ot\r dried out and cracked, rain can get in there and play hell with stuff, not just the PCM.

If it's the 4.6, it'll get into the plug wells and cause issues too. Also, check your connectors up on top, sometimes the wires like to pull out of the connectors and short out if water happens to get on them.

It's very likely water related. I'm surprised I haven't had any problems with mine, what with the massive rainfall the last 3 days...two months..

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,508 Posts
Sounds like it stopped charging to me, check the voltage when running, you should see 14.0 + volts at an idle. Then have the battery tested. It's may have set that code because of low voltage.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Left my buddy's house last night about 1am after coming back from the track. Got about a half mile from his house and lost all the lights (headlights too) completely. I only live 2 miles from there tried to limp it home but out in the country with no lights I couldn't see shit lol. It only went a couple hundred feet before the engine shut off anyhow. Btw how are you supposed to tow these things when the shifter's locked out in park?!? Didn't matter what I did it wasn't moving with no electrical signal, apparently. Pitch black out in the middle of the road I thought I was gonna get plow phucked by someone going like hell down the road lol

anyhow, ran to his house, grabbed the battery out of his car and put it in, fired right up and got it home:rolleyes:

So the battery's on the charger this morning. Looking at the cowl seal it looks to be okay. I'll check the alternator charging once I get a charged battery in it. I'd never expect a vehicle to behave like this just from a bad battery but things aren't so simple anymore!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Check power and ground by backprobing the pcm connector. Use a meter. As mentioned earlier, the pcm connection is prone to failure from water intrusion in that vehicle, next on the list is grounds. If those check out, I have seen several Ford and GM vehicles lately with corrosion in the underhood fuse box, poor connection at the fuses causes less voltage to be available downstream of the fuse box. This is more prevalent on vehicles driven without a fuse box cover installed. If you pull a couple fuses, and they have white corrosion on the terminals, you will need to pull them all and clean them. Last item to check is faulty ignition switch. When the problem occurs, try rotating the key slightly, if everything comes back to life even for a second, replace the switch.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Left my buddy's house last night about 1am after coming back from the track. Got about a half mile from his house and lost all the lights (headlights too) completely. I only live 2 miles from there tried to limp it home but out in the country with no lights I couldn't see shit lol. It only went a couple hundred feet before the engine shut off anyhow. Btw how are you supposed to tow these things when the shifter's locked out in park?!? Didn't matter what I did it wasn't moving with no electrical signal, apparently. Pitch black out in the middle of the road I thought I was gonna get plow phucked by someone going like hell down the road lol

anyhow, ran to his house, grabbed the battery out of his car and put it in, fired right up and got it home:rolleyes:

So the battery's on the charger this morning. Looking at the cowl seal it looks to be okay. I'll check the alternator charging once I get a charged battery in it. I'd never expect a vehicle to behave like this just from a bad battery but things aren't so simple anymore!
Just buy a battery. Drive it to the store and check the alternator. It will save you money in the long run.
Zim

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,416 Posts
How old is the battery in the vehicle?

·
Registered
897 Posts
On newer vehicle, a weak or bad battery can play hell with everything lol.

I agree with 'em above, test your alt, for sure. Especially if the battery checks out or is replaced.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My brother's F-150 started acting like that and it was the pcm power relay- it's nothing special, just a standard 'bosch' style 5 terminal relay and it was in the box under the hood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts