Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...i bought a 2003 vette motor I want to make it naturally aspirated and drop it in a 74 camaro

any help and part names would be appreciated from you high tech people...:Kneel
oh ! has 36k original miles purchased with 2 brokin valve springs

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
you didn't buy a 2003 ls3-they didn't make one.Is it an ls1/6 or an ls3?

·
Registered
49,435 Posts
so...i bought a 2003 vette motor I want to make it naturally aspirated and drop it in a 74 camaro

any help and part names would be appreciated from you high tech people...:Kneel
oh ! has 36k original miles purchased with 2 brokin valve springs
2 broken valve springs ? Better pull the heads and get the valves checked out. Sounds like over revving damage.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks for the none ribbing...
Ok so a little help.... what did I buy....???? engine is from a 2003 vette THAT i KNOW THE HEADS ARE STAMPED 343 BLOCK IS ALL ALUMINIUM

·
Registered
840 Posts
they heads are 243 probably and if so it is most likely a ls6 motor. if out of an 03 it is rated at 405hp and 346ci

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 broken valve springs ? Better pull the heads and get the valves checked out. Sounds like over revving damage.
Valves look great

a little more info on this engine
was pulled out and replaced with a 6.2
car belonged to a 22 year old from what I am told daddy forked over 12k to replace
this thing is been sitting for about 6 months at my friends shop I offered him 800. just kidding around
I got a call yesterday night... wanted to know when I could bring the cash.... it's now payed for?

DID I buy a really expensive paper weight??

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly I dunno... all i know its off a 2003 vette I paid 800. for it.. supposibly It broke a couple of springs... and some yuppie old man bought his spoiled 22 year old son a 12k new engine....Zo6 replacement.. blahhh blahh blahhh

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
All LS series are aluminum block engines. If the engine you purchased is the original that came in the '03 Vette and it has 243 heads then you should have an LS6, but this is only assuming the heads haven't been changed in the past.

I strongly recommend you do a leak down test on the cylinder(s) with the broken valves springs or just pull the heads outright. 99 times out of 100, broken valve springs means piston to valve contact afterwords.

·
Registered
49,435 Posts
All LS series are aluminum block engines. If the engine you purchased is the original that came in the '03 Vette and it has 243 heads then you should have an LS6, but this is only assuming the heads haven't been changed in the past.

I strongly recommend you do a leak down test on the cylinder(s) with the broken valves springs or just pull the heads outright. 99 times out of 100, broken valve springs means piston to valve contact afterwords.
It can also mean

Its been beaten down like a $2 crack whore on free rock night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts