Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from a friend with a noise coming from under his valve cover. Truck is a 2001 F150 with the 4.6 and 250,000 miles. Good oil pressure. Any very common issues with these engines? I know thats a ton of miles....Just had the transmission overhauled 2 days ago. I was thinking maybe a converter bolt loosened, but doesn't make sense with a noise under the VC. Passenger side.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Is he positive it's under the vc, I've been fooled by noises before, I would guess worn out chain and or chain guides.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
^^ this

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Could be broken rocker or spring though. Pull the cover and take a look. They aren't bad of a pull.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is he positive it's under the vc, I've been fooled by noises before, I would guess worn out chain and or chain guides.

Thanks,

Just saw a youtube video on a clogged oil restrictor under the vc too.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Yes. 4.6's have "followers" which are interchangeably called rocker arms.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
They aren't directly cam to valve action. There's even hydraulic lifters. ("Lash adjusters") in the head.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got a call from him, appears a spark plug blew out. Hope it loosened and not stripped :confused:

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with 250k, i bet its not the first one to blow out. fantastic design by ford that rectified a few years later with spark plugs that come out in 2 pieces!

I have one of those 5.4's. He claims it only threads in with like 5 threads? Sent me a pic of the old plug and I thought it wasn't installed all the way. Just threaded about 1/3 of the threads. Is that correct?

·
OL 10.5 TTF
11,901 Posts

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
Just got a call from him, appears a spark plug blew out. Hope it loosened and not stripped :confused:
Your buddy is not very good a describing problems.

Stripped/blown out plugs is common.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your buddy is not very good a describing problems.

Stripped/blown out plugs is common.

I know. Just a young college kid trying to learn.

I think it happened last night on his way to college. texted me first thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts